Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 8th, 2010 06:00

Data Migration using EMCopy

I am performing quite a bit of data migration from a Windows environment to the Celerra, we have been using EMCopy v4.0 which as many people have commented has not been that reliable. I now have the latest copy so hopefully things will be better. I have some questions which I would like some help and guidance on.

1 - Because of the chunks of data we have had to move we have been able to do them in one run over a weekend. Now we are coming to move much large volumes of data, we need to be able to run a first pass a week or two before we cut over and then a final one on the day we cut over. I have been doing a few tests but I would like any recommendation on the switches I am using.

This is the command I have been using for the initial or only run:

C:\EMcopy>"C:\EMcopy\emcopy.exe" c:\Temp\ \\Sk-test\FSTEST01\CJB\ *.* /o /s /c /r:1 /z /f /sdd /log+:C:\EMCopy\log1.txt

This is the command I have been using to update the Target volume following an initial run:

C:\EMcopy>"C:\EMcopy\emcopy.exe" c:\Temp\ \\Sk-test\FSTEST01\CJB\ *.* /o /s /c /r:1 /z /f /sdd /d /log+:C:\EMCopy\log1.txt

2 - The customer who is performing the final checks to ensure that the source and target volumes are identical before moving the users across to the Celerra, is finding the information provided by EMCopy not reliable and having to employ other pieces of software to check that EMCopy has moved everything across. Any help on commands switches or tools to help with this would be most welcomed.

3 - We are also finding performance quite slow even though we have EMCopy running from the source Windows server, any other performance tips would be most welcomed.

Many Thanks

Chris

9 Posts

January 8th, 2010 11:00

Disregard

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

January 8th, 2010 11:00

what is it exactly that they find un-reliable? Missing NTFS acl ?

3 Posts

January 12th, 2010 03:00

Hi

These are the steps the customer performs following each migration:

Analyse the emcopy log files that have been generated and run ‘Beyond Compare’ on source server to compare the directories copied

Analyse the differences and make any changes accordingly.

Also use Right- click > Properties on the source and destination folders to check that windows can see the same amount of files and folders.

Check NTFS permissions at each share have been brought across by EMCopy

There confidence in EMCopy is very low and they have had many issues which is why the customer is performing more checks, this means the customer requires more man power or more time to perform any migration.

Thanks

Chris 

147 Posts

January 12th, 2010 05:00

Hi,

what issues did you have with emcopy ?

did you open service requests for them ?

emcopy usually works quite well - most problems come from:

- the machine/account running emcopy doesn't have the right permissions

- old emcopy version

- unresolvable SIDs or other specialties on the src

- not enough experience with the switches and the documentation

If you prefer something simpler with a GUI I suggest to take a look at SecureCopy from Scriptlogic - its not free though

Rainer

3 Posts

January 12th, 2010 07:00

There were several issues,

Initially there was a problem with the multithreaded option which actually panic's the DM, so until we upgraded the DART we had to run as a single threaded operation.

Although we had set the Celerra Parameters, acl.FailOnSDRestoreError, acl.mappingErrorAction and acl.retryAuthSid some permissions where not always being applied,

Once we have run an initial copy, when we ran an update the source date changed to 2046 while performing an incremental copy. The advice then was to remove the /sdd option but I couldnt see how the new files would get updated correctly and EMC couldnt provide an answer.

We have only used EMCopy version 4.0.0 although I am testing with the latest.

I would welcome input into the options I am using.

Chris

147 Posts

January 12th, 2010 08:00

I would strongly suggest not to use emcopy 4.0 in production - please use the latest 4.0.3 or 4.0.4

If you encounter a problem please open a service request so that the necessary debug info can be collected

Rainer

5 Posts

January 26th, 2010 03:00

I would also check out 'emc224742' as the /Z switch seems to corrupt files when performing an Incremental copy after having already done an inital full data copy

8.6K Posts

January 26th, 2010 05:00

yes, the /z (restartable) should no longer be used with emcopy v4  - from 4.0.2 on it will be ignored

the latest emcopy version now is 4.0.5 - here are the changes:

04.00 : - Changed working model from single threaded to multi threaded.
        - Added  new options : /th n, /de, /nodf, /sdd.

04.02 : - Removed restartable mode; /z option is still accepted without effect for backward comptability.
        - Enhanced transfert retry process.
        - Added suport of windows 6.x symbolic link.

04.03 : - Introduction of a 64 bits version of emcopy : emcopy64.
        - Memory usage enhancement.

04.04 : - Fixed issue when /xd is used in conjunction with /purge.
          In that case excluded directory could be removed from the target.

04.05 : - Added /xjd option that excludes windows Moint Point from the copy. 
        - Changed the way 8.3 files are treated. For each directory, 8.3 files are
          processed in single thread model before any others files.
        - Added new logging system that prevent mixed log messages.

5 Posts

January 26th, 2010 07:00

Cheers, can you tell me where I can download this from on PowerLink?  I can't find the download location, so don't know if it has to be specially requested.

Many thanks

147 Posts

January 26th, 2010 07:00

its currently not available from Powerlink

you need to request it from support

5 Posts

January 26th, 2010 08:00

Would you mind letting me know where EMC Support can find 4.0.5?

I've logged a call but the latest they have is 4.0.0 - and can't find any later version than that!

Cheers

8.6K Posts

January 26th, 2010 11:00

emcopy 4.0.4 is in the 5.6.47 Tools&Apps CD - available from Powerlink for customer download in

Home > Support > Product and Diagnostic Tools > Celerra Tools > NS-120, NS-480

for 4.0.5 support needs to search the Celerra forum or contact engineering

Rainer

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 17th, 2011 18:00

This is an old post and EMCopy is now at version 4.11 (as of June 20, 2011). There is a 64-bit and 32-bit version. I am not sure why the lastest isn't part of the Celerra Apps & Tools DVD which is at v4.10, but on the DVD there are complimentary migration tools that, combined with EMCopy, makes CIFS migrations easier than ever. On the CD are the following tools:

EMCABE: Provides a way to get, enable, or disable the Access Based Enumeration feature of one share or all shares of one server.

EMCACL: This tool allows an administrator with BACKUP & RESTORE privleges to modify all the security properties of existing files and directories on a Celerra file server.

EMCOPY: Duplicates a directory tree from one server to another with the NT security intact including ACLs with local groups.

FSTOOLBOX: Provides a way to manage quota entries for a local or a mapped network drive.

LGDUP : Use first to replicate the local groups database from an NT server to the Celerra file server.

NTMIGRAT: Generates the account and group data files (UID & GID) that are needed for user and group account conversion to UNIX.

SHAREDUP: Used to duplicate the shares fro one NT server to another with the NT security intact including ACLs with local groups' ACE (Access Control Entries).

UNIXACLTOOLS

See the attached document for more information and how to configure and use these utilities. For some reason, it isn't included in the Celerra Apps & Tools DVD but it really should be.

1 Attachment

No Events found!