Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 23rd, 2011 07:00

Delete a Celerra Pool

I want to delete a Celerra pool as it is not being used. This is a "System" pool and not a "User" generated pool. Do I need to shrink the pool first and then delete the pool OR I can go ahead and delete the entire pool itself from GUI and the volumes will also get deleted?

If I shrink a the pool by seleting the volume, will the volumes get deleted and the "nas_disk -l " will show the assossiated disks are unused and then I can delete them will -perm and -unbind option?

The cli manual says, use   -delete with -deep option and it recursively deletes each member of the storage pool. Should I use that option to delete the entire pool instead of deleting from GUI?

[nasadmin@canas012 ~]$ nas_pool -size clar_r5_economy

id           = 2

name         = clar_r5_economy

used_mb      = 0

avail_mb     = 3102459

total_mb     = 3102459

potential_mb = 0

[nasadmin@canas012 ~]$ nas_pool -info clar_r5_economy

id                   = 2

name                 = clar_r5_economy

description          = CLARiiON RAID5 8plus1

acl                  = 0

in_use               = False

clients              =

members              = v6053,v6054,v6258,v6262,v6795,v6796,v6797,v9023

default_slice_flag   = True

is_user_defined      = False

virtually_provisioned= False

disk_type            = CLSTD

server_visibility    = server_2,server_3,server_4,server_5

volume_profile       = clar_r5_economy_vp

is_dynamic           = False

is_greedy            = False

num_stripe_members   = 4

stripe_size          = 32768

[nasadmin@canas012 ~]$

Thanks in Advance.

57 Posts

October 5th, 2011 20:00

You cannot delete the System defined pool and even if the pool is just there it will not harm any thing as it does on have any disk in it.

8.6K Posts

September 23rd, 2011 08:00

You shouldnt (and hopefully cant) delete system pools

Its actually not necessary – delete every file system using it – then you can use the LUNs/disks in it for something different

The system pools are always there – they are just empty or contain unused elements

127 Posts

September 23rd, 2011 08:00

Rainer,

As you can see from the command o/p, the pool is empty and there are no filesystems in the pool. I want to getrid of the pool clar_r5_economy (R5, 8+1) and create two RG of R5 4+1 and add it to performance pool. Performance pool is running out of space and I want to add more disks to it. I have a spare disk to add it to 4+1.So you saying I should not/cannot delete this pool?

8.6K Posts

September 23rd, 2011 09:00

It is not necessary to delete the pool to free up the drives – you just need to delete and unbind the dvols

127 Posts

December 16th, 2011 11:00

From the GUI I did a shrink and selected the all the volumes in the pool and hit OK and when I check CLI the system defined pool was disappeared from the system (automatically) and nas_disk displayed the disks as "n" (not in use) and deleted them using "-perm unbind". thanks for your help.

No Events found!