Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

September 20th, 2010 06:00

Directory space utilization on deduped file system

We have quota enabled directories that are charged back to their customers based on space consumption. File systems that these reside on have dedupe enabled, quota policy is set to filesize. Reading document "Using Celerra Data Deduplication  5.6.48" states that when using quota policy filesize, reported space is counted based on logical size of the file, meaning dedupe/compression is not taken into account ? So i have this folder and trying to figure out what the actual disk consumption is:

quota_properties.jpg

nas_quotas reports utilization as 844488276 (805GB).

1) Can you explain the discrepancies ? I would think that if quota policy is set to filesize, the numbers that i see on the image and reported by nas_quotas would be very close ?

2) what is the difference between Size and Size on disk

3) when it says "logical file size is taken into account", where is it reflected ..in windows explorer or output of nas_quotas command ?

It's possible that tree quota needs to be "re-calced" so 805GB could be a bogus number.

Thank you

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

September 20th, 2010 07:00

The Windows side properly just adds up the file sizes not taking into account that potentially up to 8k-1 empty space in the last block of a file

So how is tree quota enforced then ? If i set tree quota policy to filesize and not blocksize i expect it to match utilization that i see in Windows explorer. We are talking about a ~60G discrepancy here.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

tree

8.6K Posts

I guess that nas_quotas probably reports in multiple of 8kB Blocks since that is the smallest allocation unit

The Windows side properly just adds up the file sizes not taking into account that potentially up to 8k-1 empty space in the last block of a file

On the Windows side size on disk means the compressed size

Rainer

674 Posts

Which quota type (user,group or tree) is this "nas_quotas reports utilization as 844488276 (805GB)." coming from?

674 Posts

September 20th, 2010 22:00

open a SR an let the tree quota been recalculated, quote emc120377. There is the procedure how this is done.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

September 21st, 2010 05:00

already did,  tree quota recalc completely locked up my file system to the point datamover had to be rebooted. If you are interested SR 36551080 . Needless to say i am not running any recalc until that issue is resolved.

No Events found!