Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 2nd, 2010 16:00

ESX4.1-SRM cluster and NS120 with Celerra Replicator "Celerra iSCSI or NSF"

Hi,

I hope this is the right forum, if not please advice whwre should i ask this question?

I am working on a solution for a customer with a DR over WAN 10Mbps this could be a little bit more I need to come up with recomendation for this link!   I am proposing the following:

Production - UCS Blades in a  ESX4.1 - SRM cluster with a datastoreaon a NS120 with 21 600G FC drives including Vault.

Normal applications including SQL, Exchange 2010 etc

DR Older IBM Blades ESX too and the same Storage as production

My questions is, what would be the best choise to use connection Celerra ISCSI or NFS. I am looking at best performance with ESX and also be able to replicate with Celerra replicator?

Thanks

Nando

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

September 7th, 2010 03:00

take a look at this page, they have a lot of good resources that can guide you with your design.

http://www.vmware.com/solutions/business-critical-apps/sql/resources.html

In my shop we deploy light use stand alone SQL servers on regular NFS datastores, heavy hitters go onto fiber channel storage (VMAX) with RDM LUNs.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

September 2nd, 2010 18:00

It depends, you already have HA with ESX as it is, it protects you from hardware failure. Some customers wants to protect from application failure as well so they setup Microsoft clusters using virtual machines as cluster nodes. If you require MS Clustering you will need to present iSCSI LUNs directly to your VMs (RDM physical mode).

We prefer NFS just for the fact of simplicity, it’s so much easier to setup it up vs iSCSI. Some argue that iSCSI gives better performance under certain workload, in my shop heavy hitters go onto fiber channel LUNs while everything else goes onto NFS datastores. You are not losing any functionality with NFS nor iSCSI, both are supported for storage vmotion (Enterprise and Enterprise +).

7 Posts

Currently they are not in  cluster so i suspect that it will continue to be none clusterd.......  sorry I am not good on microsoft but should the customer be considering cluster even in a virtual environment or not?

7 Posts

Thanks, I beleive that SRM is also supportd with Celerra ISCSI and NFS,  Just one more question, How can i deploy SQL on a NFS datastore if SQL require block level access for the db?  do I need a mix of NFS for the application and Celerra iSCSI for the Database.  you see, I need to replicate all with celerra replicator over a IP link?

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

is Microsoft Clustering involved ?

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

September 2nd, 2010 20:00

You will present NFS export from Celerra to your ESX server where you will create a datastore. Your VM will be created inside of that datastore, as far as VM is concerned it can’t tell if it resides within a datastore that resides on FC , iSCSI on NFS export

25 Posts

September 6th, 2010 19:00

It appears that you question has been provided with answers and comments. Are they helpful?

If so, please mark the question as "Answered". Your feedback and response is appreciated.

Thanks for your participation to the forum.

Best Regards

Thanks!

7 Posts

Yes but I thought that the SQL databese was required to be in a block level access LUN like iscsi or FC?

Nando

7 Posts

Not yet

Regards,

Fernando Gonzalez

Datacenter Practice Manager

Bridge Point Communications

Fernando_Gonzalez@bridgepoint.com.au

Direct: 07 3231 5436

Mobile: 0434 830 704

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

September 6th, 2010 20:00

Fernando,

i just double checked vSphere 4.1 release notes and looks like iSCSI, NFS and FCoE are not supported, for some reason i thought that had changed in 4.1...bummer

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r41/vsp_41_mscs.pdf

7 Posts

September 6th, 2010 21:00

Thanks...    From experience do people still use MSCS  or more and more they just rely on VMware HA?  I have a  customer that has ask me to work on 3 member cluster for SQL and I have  been thinking to load a single instance of SQL in a well biffed vm and use ISCSI for datastorage and some RDM for logs and db.  What do you think?

No Events found!