Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 2nd, 2009 10:00

How do I extend an existing storage pool?

Simple question, just dont know where to find the answer. I'm not even sure what document to look into to find it. EMC setup the array and the original RAID 5 groups and the original storage pools. I now need to expand. New disks have been ordered and are ready to be inserted into the array.

Please advise.

1.5K Posts

April 2nd, 2009 13:00

Great - so whenever you feel, you may mark the question as answered and select appropriate replies as "Correct" and "Helpful" - wish to hear from you soon,
Regards,
Sandip

1.5K Posts

April 2nd, 2009 11:00

As "dynamox" mentioned - it will be better to know the model of the Celerra and type of disks you have ordered. I am assuming you are using system defined pool like - clar_r5_performance, clar_r5_economy or clar_ata and so on.

There is no separate steps to extend the storage pool - you simply need to follow proper steps to configure the RAID groups and LUNs on the backend as per supported configuration and present the same to Celerra and on Celerra Web Manager - run the Rescan option under Storage. The newly configured space will be automatically added to the respective storage pool - say for 4+1 FC RAID 5 - the space will go to clar_r5_performance pool as so on.

So - it's important to know whether you have integrated NAS or Gateway (or FC Option enabled) NAS - for integrated NAS you need to run the setup_clariion -init script to configure the additional disks - but for FC enabled or Gateway models, the RAID Group, LUN and storage group configuration needs to be done on Navisphere first.

You may refer to the following link and get more details and steps for each type of backend -

http://corpusweb130.corp.emc.com/ns/common/post_install/Config_storage.htm

Thanks,
Sandip

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

April 2nd, 2009 11:00

are you using system defined pools or user-defined pools ? What model of Celerra do you have ?

306 Posts

April 2nd, 2009 12:00

Celerra NS40.

Yes, the pools are labeled something like r5_performance

1.5K Posts

So - it is an Integrated box. So, it will be even easier - After the new disk enclosures are connected or the new disks are inserted - on the NAS control station, either run the setup_clariion -init script or using Celerra Manager (Celerras > Storage > System > Configure) on integrated CLARiiON storage to configure the unbound disks. Choose the appropriate RAID group template you want - please refer to the following link for more details -

http://corpusweb130.corp.emc.com/ns/common/post_install/Config_storage_integrated.htm

Hope this helps,
Regards,
Sandip

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

do we sound like broken record ? :D

306 Posts

Yeah, I was poking around and at the Storage System Properties page, there is a information line stating...

"Click Configure to prepare unusded disk devices for use".

Very good... Thanks for your help.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

great ..so once CE installs the DAE ..you will run setup_clariion -init script that will present you with available templates for the disk types in the DAE. Select one that satisfied your protection/layout requirements ..don't forget about hot spares.

1.5K Posts

April 2nd, 2009 13:00

Hahaha - well said :) - and as usual our replies are also overlapping each other :) - sorry for that..
No Events found!