Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 19th, 2010 00:00

How to migrate retention periods from NetApp to Celerra

Hi

I'm looking for a simple way to migrate retention periods from NetApp to Celerra. Copying data is not a problem, there are a lot of tools that can do this... but in a complex filesystem with a lot of files with different retention periods this is an issue, and it's impossible to manually set... any idea that could help or someone with the same problem?

Thanks.

Lorenzo

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

November 19th, 2010 03:00

what are your retention criteria ..last access, last modified ? Tools like emcopy/robocopy can preserve all those attributes

2 Posts

November 19th, 2010 04:00

Hi Dynamox

I'm speaking about file-level retention on worm enabled filesystem using snaplock in the NetApp box. Just to understand, if an admin put a file in Read Only, start a retention period of three years on this. How can I mantain thoseif I migrate to Celerra?

Thanks

8.6K Posts

November 19th, 2010 05:00

Hi,

if you are using a real archiving application (like for example Opentext) to control the retention state than it's best to use that applications functionality to migrate archives.

if you you are doing "manual" retention it should work to use a migration utility that preserves the access time and then run a script that changes the file to read-write and then back to readonly since that transition is what actually triggers the retention lock.

I haven't tested this so I suggest to work with support or professional services to test and validate.

Rainer

No Events found!