Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 25th, 2013 10:00

How to set CIFS share permissions.

Need help to setup share permissions in a CIFS share. we did the following...

from MMC permissions are set for the CIFS share named 'moldata'

1.In share permission - everyone - change ,read

2.In share security- Evryone -full control.

we have many subfolders under moldata.each subfolder is for different users/groups.Permissions are set for these folders as requested by the users.

Our problem is each user is able to rename other folder under 'moldata' but they can't see the contents or not even able to delete.Could any one help me

how we can stop even changing/modifying  the  other folders which they don't have access.

Any Help???

Thanks

3 Attachments

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

you gave everyone full control at the root of the share, if those permissions are inherited by subfolders then everyone can do anything they want.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

so you are saying that anybody who is not one of those two users or Domain admin can rename that directory ?

8.6K Posts

Hi,

dont confuse share permissions with folder permissions – they are two separate independent things.

See http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc783530(v=ws.10).aspx

My recommendation:

- don’t use share permissions or only in a general way if you want to deny specific permissions for a complete share

- before putting data on the systems create a suitable inherited default permission – like allow full control for the creater/owner and deny access or write for others

- best to do this on a sub-directory like a treequota and not directly at the root of the file system.

Rainer

60 Posts

Thanks Dynamox,in CIFS  share security- Evryone -full control.None of the subfolders are inhering permissions from the parent folder.Please have a look at the attached file.Still we wonder how the users are able to change other folders!!subfolder_permissions.bmp

60 Posts

yes, we noticed it after getting complaints from few users.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

February 25th, 2013 11:00

who is the owner of those subdirectories ?

8.6K Posts

I would first fix the folder ACL’s to do what you want before removing share permissions.

They are both evaluated – so it doesn’t hurt if you allow Everyone full control in the share permission and restrict it in the folder permissions

If you want to try without causing impact to production users – replicate the file system and use the replica as a test.

Or a writable checkpoint or a simulator

Rainer

60 Posts

Thanks Rainer,is there a way to solve our current issue? if i remove everyone full control from root(moldomain)- mmc cifs security, will it affect any subfolder access rights?

60 Posts

we ,domain admins are the owner of the subdirs.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

you don't have "everyone" or "authenticated users" part of Domain Admins group ?

60 Posts

February 25th, 2013 20:00

we have authenticated users part of domain admins. Theses folders can be accessed by domain admins and authenticated users.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

February 25th, 2013 21:00

There is your answer.. if authenticated users are part of domain admin group then they can do anything  they want. Authenticated users shouldn't  be members of domain admin groups

8.6K Posts

February 26th, 2013 04:00

Wow – why bother with ACLs at all if everyone is domain admin ?

60 Posts

February 26th, 2013 05:00

Rainer I didn't say that everyone is in admin group.

60 Posts

February 26th, 2013 05:00

The problem is solved by removing everyone from security.Thanks for the support.

No Events found!