Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 18th, 2009 08:00

How to set a CIFS share as default?

I am trying to setup CAVA and am getting an error about there is no Default CIFS server, when I run the command server_cifs server_2 i see the 2 CIFS servers, but neither is listed as default. Has anyone seen this before? I cannot find anything on powerlink.

1.5K Posts

March 18th, 2009 09:00

Typically Default CIFS server is the first CIFS server you create on the physical data mover. You mentioned that you see 2 CIFS servers when you run server_cifs server_2 command - that means, these CIFS servers are Physical data mover (server_2) - not on a virtual data mover.

For CAVA - you need to have a CIFS server on the physical data mover. You may select any of the existing CIFS server for CAVA scanning and it will scan all CIFS data on the data mover.

However, you may provide us the output of server_cifs server_2 command, if we can find anything from there - why it reports no default CIFS server is available. There is no such command to make a CIFS server default one. If you want you may open a case with Support as well.

Thanks,
Sandip

1.5K Posts

It is recommended and advisable to configure CIFS environment on VDM. So what you have now is perfect.

Simply create an additional CIFS server on the physical data mover (server_2) as Peter mentioned. So you need to have a name and IP for this additional CIFS server and of course the CIFS server needs to be joined to you AD Domain.

There are few other steps to be followed to configure the CAVA. Hope you are referring to the Using Celerra Antivirus document or engaging EMC person.

Thanks,
Sandip

46 Posts

yeah the CIFS servers are on a vdm because thats how the EMC implementation engineer set it up, is there a way to convert it to just using server_2 or can I create one on the DM and then CAVA will scan the one on the VDM?

Message was edited by:
daverfw

674 Posts

just define a additional one on the physical DM

There is no command for converting a VDM into the physical DM

674 Posts

The server_cifs command does no longer report one of the CIFS servers as DEFAULT.

No need to worry for missing the default, but as Sandip mentioned, you have to use a CIFS Server on the physical DM

46 Posts

ok that worked, i am trying to initiate a full scan, thanks!

46 Posts

March 18th, 2009 10:00

yes i created a CIFS server with a new IP and name, and I initiated a scan on fs0 which is where our file shares live but for some reason it reports its only scanned 3 dirs and 1 file. Any idea why that would be?

now i am seeing a ERROR_AUTH in the status, so i am rechecking my AD setup

Message was edited by:
daverfw

1.5K Posts

March 18th, 2009 11:00

now i am seeing a ERROR_AUTH in the status, so i am rechecking my AD
setup

Ensure the followings -
1) The domain user defined for CAVA scanning has got Local Administrative rights on the AV Server
2) The same user is used while starting the CAVA service on the AV Server
3) Depending on your AV software, it may require that the same domain user is used to start the AV engine (service) on the AV server
4) The Domain user is given Virus Scanning rights on the Data Mover - use the Celerra Managament snap-in MMC to define the user rights for the data mover - this is very important.

Please revert back if you still have any issue - may consider opening a case with Support as well, if you are running into issues.

Thanks,
Sandip

46 Posts

March 18th, 2009 13:00

I have a case open and have a webex going now, we have checked all of the things you listed, the support person seems a bit perplexed also.
No Events found!