This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 29th, 2013 10:00

MMC Snap In for 64 Bit Windows

All,

I have a customer to whom I supplied the MMC snap in for VNX 4.2.0.1.2 in preparation for an emcopy migration (netapp to VNX). The customer tried to load this on a Windows 7 machine, and is getting an error saying that a 64 bit OS is not supported.  I then tried to load the software on my (64 bit) laptop and I am getting the same error.  I have searched without success for a 64 bit MMC snap in.  Do we even have one?  If so, does anyone have a link? 

As always, any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Christopher Harding

1.2K Posts

May 30th, 2013 05:00

This is a known issue with 32-bit MMC snap-ins on 64-bit Windows.  We had the same issue with 64-bit Windows Server 2003 using the Celerra MMC.  Take a look at this KB from Microsoft - Running 32-Bit and 64-Bit Snap-ins on 64-Bit Windows Operating Systems

Try and run it from the command line, using this KB article, and let us know if that allows you and your customer to launch it.

Let us know how it goes!

Karl

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 30th, 2013 05:00

Thank you Karl. This is very helpful.

Christopher Harding

June 2nd, 2013 16:00

Chris,

Is there a specific reason you are using an older version of the utility?  If not, we've had a plug-in that supports 64-bit (well... it is still has a 32-bit component as noted below but installs on a 64-bit OS without aborting) for some time now since 2011.  The latest version is v4.4.0.7 which is currently distributed with: CelerraCifsMgmt_7.1.71.1.zip.  *Generally* speaking, you are not required to match the specific version of VNX OE for FILE as is referenced in the filename (in this case 7.1.71.1); however, my apologies if there is a unique reason you are pursuing an older version of the tool.  If someone instructed you to use an older revision of the tool, then please ignore.

The latest is available as follows:

https://support.emc.com/search/?resource=ST&AlloftheseWrds=celerracifsmgmt.zip&SearchWithin=true&adv=y

Note the important use of "Scope by resource: Support Tools" in the search strategy as I have provided via the above URL.

Now, there is still a single component which are the Celerra UNIX User Management properties viewable within ADUC that requires a small work-around to run on a 64-bit image, but if you aren't using it, you only need to run the tool from the Start menu (Administrative Tools > Celerra Management) as usual.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 2nd, 2013 17:00

No, thank you. I appreciate your time responding. This is very good information.

Christopher Harding

No Events found!