Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 4th, 2009 08:00

NDMP Server Software?

Hi,

We have a Celerra NS20 and would like to perform some test restores of NDMP filesystem and stub data (created by Rainfinity).

The restore would be directly onto the Networker Server itself, but as this is only an NDMP client, is there any software available that would emulate an NDMP server on this Windows Server 2003 box?

Thanks.

8.6K Posts

November 4th, 2009 09:00

no, thats not possible

NDMP doesnt determine that data format - for any vendor a NDMP backup can only be restored on the same machine type that is was taken on

so you need to restore to a Celerra

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

November 4th, 2009 10:00

could you perform a redirected restore and dump the data onto another temporary file system on Celerra ?

59 Posts

November 4th, 2009 11:00

It can be restored to alternate targets, it is just not very easy. I have seen a procedure to restore netapp NDMP tape backups to a Celerra. A co-worker of mine created and tested this process after migrating from NetApp to Celerra, and we had some retention stuff on tape that we didn't want to keep around NetApp gear just for restores.

I do think all the ACLs are lost, I can't remember.

53 Posts

November 5th, 2009 09:00

No we prefer not to use the production Celerra for a test restore. Is there another way of dumping the data, possibly using Open Solaris that has NDMP server? Also, would NDMP compatibility be an issue if the data was backed up to an NDMP server (EMC Celerra) then restored onto a Solaris server?

8.6K Posts

November 5th, 2009 10:00

you are certainly welcome to try but as far as I know there is no other way

I would be astonished if the OpenSolaris NDMP server understands Celerra data format (or any other expect its own)

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

November 5th, 2009 15:00

unlikely, when i create backup pools in Tivoli Storage manager, i have to specify which filer i am going to be backing up. Celerradump for Celerra and Netappdump for Netapp. So it's the same protocol (NDMP) but different data format.

139 Posts

November 16th, 2009 08:00

I may have a different understanding of the question, but Commvault Simpana can backup via NDMP from a Celerra, and then it has a special agent that can restore to an alternate location.

8.6K Posts

November 16th, 2009 08:00

alias23122 schrieb:

I may have a different understanding of the question, but Commvault Simpana can backup via NDMP from a Celerra, and then it has a special agent that can restore to an alternate location.

are you sure that alternate means non-Celerra location ?

Any pointers to web pages or manuals where that is documented ?

thanks

Rainer

90 Posts

November 16th, 2009 09:00

That looks right.  The docs say you can install a NDMP Enabler on Window or UNIX and install from CommVault NDMP backup but you will lose permissions.  Would recommend using restore to a seperate mount on the Celerra.  Be sure you use the full mount location when you restore a file or else you will create a new directory on your default location and you might not find the file where you expect it.

After several years using Celerra NDMP and CommVault Galaxy/Sempana we've got to like the way it works as long as you stay away from crossplatform stuff.

Harold

8.6K Posts

November 16th, 2009 10:00

thanks - very interesting

with the help of your link I found the details and limitations here http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/release_8_0_0/books_online_1/english_us/features/fs_ndmp_restore_enabler/fs_ndmp_restore_enabler.htm

This is the first backup software I've seen that has bothered to implement it.

Not that it is that difficult - Rainfinity actually developed a specialized ndmpcopy that translates between NetApp and EMC Celerra (but not for NDMP restore)

looks like this would be a nice feature enhancement for Networker :-)

• 

284 Posts

November 16th, 2009 10:00

In general though, Celerra keeps its own extended file attributes intact during an NDMP backup, so without translation, you could only restore to another Celerra.

8.6K Posts

November 16th, 2009 11:00

schlice schrieb:

In general though, Celerra keeps its own extended file attributes intact during an NDMP backup, so without translation, you could only restore to another Celerra.

yes, I think we store UID/GID in the normal Unix dump/tar format but Windows SID and ACLs in a proprietary way since they werent covered in the format.

the CommVault restore is a special case - they are restoring a Celerra or NetApp NDMP backup to a Windows server

so it makes sense that owner and ACLs are lost as well as case insensitivity or special characters

No Events found!