Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 27th, 2010 10:00

NFS Share getting error

Last month, I gave a NFS share to one of the DB Linux Server from Celerra. Last week, we had a big network outage, because of which most of the network switches were rebooted and also most of the production servers.

The thing is, without knowing someone rebooted this Redhat linux server, which had NFS share sitting on it and now its gone. I tried to remount the share but took forever to do it and its accessing it very slow. Then I remembered that I need to updates /etc/fstab so that when I do reboot, it will auto-mount it self. And i rebooted the share,but no luck. The thing is my all database back ups were getting written on to this share, but now it not writting any thing, as it say's something about access privilages required. I get Celerra and the server has root and RW access to the share, but then also its not writting in to the share. Any clues, where I might go wrong.

66 Posts

September 27th, 2010 11:00

Yes, server has its own 2 IP's assigned to it. I dont know what the Oracle piece is doing on that server, except the backup part whcih I know. But I guess it has some alies DNS that points to those IP.

Thank You

Rama

66 Posts

Well right now, the server see's the share and its mounted on to the system. But it can only access the share, I mean like read only. It cannot write anything on to the share. I mean last night all the backup on to the share got failed because server didnt had any necessary privilages to write on to the share. I tried creating a directory inside the share but couldnt do it.

Thank You

Rama

8.6K Posts

most likely you aren't root-exporting or to the wrong IP adress

create a dir with rwx-rwx-rwx and see if you can create a file there

NFS is quite simple

66 Posts

Well, I tried as root and even i did chmod to 777, but a first i couldnt create any directory but later on I could create one.

Below is the error which I got from the server last night

I didWell this is the error, which I got

channel ORA_DISK_1: starting piece 1 at 26-SEP-2010 02:30:18

RMAN-00571: ===========================================================

RMAN-00569: =============== ERROR MESSAGE STACK FOLLOWS ===============

RMAN-00571: ===========================================================

RMAN-03002: failure of backup plus archivelog command at 09/26/2010 02:30:25

ORA-19502: write error on file "/exports/hmmbackup/prev_0/mmlive/dbf/MMLIVE_3636_1_730607417_2010_09_26_02:30_Sun_full", blo

ckno 61441 (blocksize=512)

ORA-27072: File I/O error

Linux-x86_64 Error: 9: Bad file descriptor

Additional information: 4

Additional information: 61441

Additional information: 445952

RMAN>
Recovery Manager complete.
rmanbackup returned an error in step Backing up database via RMAN
Error status code received was 1
Program halted!
*****************************************************************************************
                        Backup final status
*****************************************************************************************
Backup for mmlive FAILED
End online database backup of hmm on Sun Sep 26 02:30:25 EDT 2010

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

so when the server reboots, NFS gets mounted, you can write to it but access is very slow ?

8.6K Posts

in terms of performance check your Redhat Servers network settings like speed / duplex

it isn't uncommon that someone set them manually without changing the config files and when the server rebooted it got the wrong settings

8.6K Posts

does the Oracle server have more than one IP interface?

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

or settings on the switch side were never saved to persistent memory and when switch rebooted they went away.

8.6K Posts

September 27th, 2010 12:00

then you are probably exporting to the wrong IP

66 Posts

September 27th, 2010 12:00

Well, I dont know, as I have specified both IP's of the server on Celerra manager and both have root and RW access to the share. But dont know, it seem to work rigth now.

My DB guy just ran a back job and it wrote to the NFS share. And I have no clue, what fixed it.

But, I would like to ask one question, If I give a NFS share to a Server and I donot update or save the information on fstab, and do the reboot, the share goes away and after reboot I re-mount the share again and then save the information on fstab about auto-remount. of the share. Now, will all the user or a particular user including root using that share will have read-only access at that point or will they be able to use the share with root and RW access. 

Thank You

Rama

8.6K Posts

September 28th, 2010 06:00

whether you get read-write access depends on if your DB backup skript is running as root or as a normal user

as root the file system permission dont matter but the rw/access and root= NFS export options in the Celerra has to be correct

as a normal user in addition to that you also have to have rw rights on the directory

as long as you use the same option it doesnt make a difference on the NFS client whether you mount a file system manually or via fstab - the effect and the user rights are the same

too bad you didnt find out why it works now - could be a problem again after the next reboot

Rainer

No Events found!