Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

October 15th, 2015 14:00

NFS file sync issue from one server to another server

Hi Team,

We have VNX 7600 Model in our environment, we have created filesystem named test and nfs share called test1, we have mounted the nfs share(test1) in Red hat servers (server1 and server2), we are writing a file in server1 but when simultaneously check in server2 the file which is writing in server1,I could see one second delay in writing speed. The same issue observed by our application team. When we mounted using NFSR4, the file sync issue occurs many times, when we using NFSR3, the sync issue occurs but not often. I would like to know what could be the cause for this sync issue.

Regards,

Prabhu

8.6K Posts

October 16th, 2015 01:00

Can you explain in more details what you mean ?

254 Posts

October 16th, 2015 06:00

I am assuming you mean that you don't see the metadata updating in real time from the other client? If so, this is normal as clients will cache metadata for performance reasons. I'm surprised it's only one second. If you want to turn this off, there is a client mount option to turn off attribute caching. The option depends on your client OS, on some it is 'noac', on others it is 'actime=0'. Check your man pages for the way to disable attribute caching. Keep in mind, that by doing so you are increasing the metadata load on the server.

If this is not what you mean, please clarify.

4 Posts

October 16th, 2015 06:00

I guess i have not clearly explained my question. Here is the scenario with example:

In server 1, am creating the file1.

#vi file1

Linux

:wq!

We have some scripts to check the file creating/writing time in detailed way. The same nfs share(test1) is mounted in server2 as well.

So when i look into the file creation time in both the servers. here is the output of last modified time of file1 in both the servers:

Server1:

file1 - 12:35:00 am

Server2:

file1 - 12:35:01 am

So i want to know why there is a 1 second difference in file modified time. I have created the file1 in server1 at 12:35:00 am, but the same file when i look into the Server2, its showing as 12:35:01 am. Its a same file which is saved in the filesystem, the nfs share is mounted in both the servers.

While using NFSR4 version, we are often seeing this 1 second difference in file modified time for most of the files, when using NFSR3 version, its not occurring often, but still we could see this 1 second difference in some of the files.

8.6K Posts

October 18th, 2015 04:00

Make sure to disable attribute caching on the client

4 Posts

October 18th, 2015 22:00

I have a doubt here. Instead of disabling attribute caching on the client, shall i proceed with disabling read-write delegation for file system. Please let me know your suggestions.

No Events found!