Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 29th, 2011 00:00

NS-120 Move DAE to different NS-120

Hi,

We have two NS-120's.  I'm looking to take a full DAE (with FC disks) out of one and put into another, without data loss... Is this possible?

They are both running the same version of code, latest.  However the DAE I'm looking to remove is in the middle of the back-end bus loop, so I suppose there will be a loss of connectivity if this was removed.  What about the other DAE's, if I reconnect the loop, does it matter that its missing a DAE address?

The raid groups and LUN's on these disks are all presented as FC clients and not to the NAS.

Is it possible to do any of this?  Is this more of a Clariion question maybe??

Any advise or documents would be wonderful!!

8.6K Posts

June 29th, 2011 06:00

No, not without data loss

Rainer

6 Posts

June 29th, 2011 08:00

Thanks, that's what I thought!

What about taking out the DAE in the middle of the loop, whats the procedure for that??

Cheers!

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

June 29th, 2011 10:00

91 Posts

June 29th, 2011 11:00

You can uninstall DAE on CX4 box even though DAE isn't last DAE on bus.

To do it correctly you need to create procedure in latest CLARiiON Procedure Generator and read carefully.

Here is some part from this document:

NOTE:  This procedure DOES NOT cover the DPE or the OS BOOT chassis (where vault/boot drives reside)

DAE Unplug Procedure:

a.     On LCC-A of the chassis to be removed, remove the HSSDC-2 cable that is connected to the EXP port (if present).

b.     Remove the other end of the same cable (if present) from the PRI port of the chassis above where it is connected.  It will be connected to a chassis on the same backend bus and will likely be the next enclosure number on the bus.

c.     Remove the HSSDC-2 cable that is connected to the PRI port from LCC-A of the chassis to be removed and connect it to the PRI port of the next physical chassis on the same backend bus (cable just removed from it).  You are physically skipping over this chassis on the bus. You may need a different length or type of cable, depending upon the chassis type above this one.

NOTE:  A longer cable may be needed in a CX700 chassis as you could be skipping 7 chassis.  A 1-meter cable will skip over 3 chassis of different backend buses but two 5-meter cables may need to be on-hand for this process.

The removal of the cable in the preceding step will likely cause some LUNs in the “above chassis” to trespass to the other SP.  The reconnection of the cable as described, will give a valid path from SP-A back to these LUNs, causing them to return to their default owner (SP-A).

d.     Repeat steps a through c on the B-side of this chassis by “skipping over” the LCC-B of the chassis to be removed.  Again, removal of the cable may cause trespasses, but the reconnection will re-supply the path from SP-B to all disks in the “above” chassis.

Alex

6 Posts

June 30th, 2011 03:00

Thanks guys, just the job!

No Events found!