Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 28th, 2010 09:00

NS-120 Vault drive expansion

hello

we have a Celerra NS-120 with a CX4-120 as Backend Storage. The CX4 has:

7x fiber disks , 10 x Sata II disks and 2 hot spares (one FC and one Sata)

the first 5 disks are the vault drive with also Celerra software install on them

is it possible to expand the Raid Group 0 (Raid 5 Vault drives) with the 2 remaing disks without any problem?

and another question can we migrate the Celerra System Luns from the Vault Drives to a Sata II Raid Group?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Manolis

December 28th, 2010 10:00

Hi,

It is strickly advised not to expand the RG0 under any circumstances.

It is not possible to move the system luns from Vault Drives to SATAII . Because of the condition for Celerra LUN migration :

The drive type is similar.. (FC to FC)

Refer emc144545

Regards,

Naveen

190 Posts

December 28th, 2010 10:00

I don't think it is possible without EMC assistance - even then you might not be able to..  You should probably open a support ticket if you want to move any Celerra LUNs.  Adding new disks is another story - and is pretty easy as well as supported.

Dan

8 Posts

December 29th, 2010 07:00

thanks for the help

8.6K Posts

December 30th, 2010 06:00

Hi,

extending raidgroups that contain Celerra is tricky. Usually it isn’t supported because the storage pool would have to change (which it doesn’t)

For moving DART OS LUNs please contact support – its not an easy task and it might not be supported on your model

Rainer

8 Posts

January 3rd, 2011 03:00

now the dart is in a 4+1 Raid 5 in the first 5 disks

as i can see in the Volumes_and_File_Systems_Manually.pdf of the NS-120 the 6+1  Raid 5 is also supported

so why is so difficult to expand the raidgroup 0 ?

if i delete the Celerra Luns , Delete the RaidGroup 0 . create a new RaidGroup0 with 6+1 or 8+1 Raid 5 and then reinstall the Celerra operating System it will not work?

I just check that unfortuanally 6+1 Raid 5  is only supported for Sata Disks

8.6K Posts

January 4th, 2011 08:00

On the NS-120 6+1R5 is only supported for ATA disks and not for FC disks

Besides – if you were to delete RG0 and re-install DART you would also loose the complete config and also the file systems on your other disks

I would suggest to either use your extra two FC disks as 1+1R1 or talk to your sales rep about some more disks

Rainer

No Events found!