Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 26th, 2012 12:00

Need to re-ip NS20 and change domain

I'm new to EMC's NAS environment. 

I have to migrate a NS20 at another location to a new domain.  I need to re-ip the NAS and change the AD domains.  There are no trusts set up between the domains.   If someone know a way to retain the ACL's great, if not the local Administrator will manually reset all the permissions on the shares, I just need to ensure no data is lost and at the very min the local administrator can access the shares to reset the permissions.  This NAS has CIFS shares and ISCSI connections. 

Thanks for all your help!

2 Posts

April 26th, 2012 14:00

All IP's are changing.

Thanks

8.6K Posts

April 26th, 2012 14:00

Hi,

depends on which IP's you need to change - just for the CIFS server or also the management IP's.

If its the CIFS server alone the simplest way is to create a new CIFS server using a new interface pointing to the "old" data.

You can copy the shares using sharedup or other tools.

When you're done simply delete the old CIFS server.

You cannot just retain the ACLs - even if your users/groups in the new domain would have the same names they do have different SIDs and the ACLs are stored on the system using the numerical SIDs (like on a Windows server).

So you would need to use some Windows tools to fix/translate the ACLs.

If the ISCSI IP's also need to be changed thats different.

If you also need to change the management IP's - see the knowledgebase for instructions.

have fun

Rainer

8.6K Posts

April 26th, 2012 15:00

Then it is more work.

If you can have both networks connected at the same time I would suggest to change the IP’s step by step.

Rainer

No Events found!