Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 17th, 2010 09:00

Network Interface State During Replicator Switchover

I'm going to be doing a switchover from an "old" to a "new" NS but want to use the same IP address for the CIFS server. I'm concerned about duplicate IP addresses. My questions are:

1. Does the switchover process (for the VDM) take the interface down on the "old" NS?
  2. Does the switchover process (for the VDM) bring the interface up on the "new" NS or assume it's already up?

I will define the interface name on the "new" NS using the same IP address but have it down/offline to avoid duplicate IP addresses.

366 Posts

February 17th, 2010 10:00

Hi,

Does the switchover process (for the VDM) take the interface down on the "old" NS?

No.

Does the switchover process (for the VDM) bring the interface up on the "new" NS or assume it's already up?

The interface on the destination side must be already up.

If you need to keep the same IP address on the destination side, change it after the switchover operation. It will add some downtime, but it's the only solution.

It would take only few minutes to change the CIFS server ip address.

Gustavo Barreto.

23 Posts

February 17th, 2010 11:00

Gustavo,

Thanks for the reply. Would I need to unjoin the domain (I assume it would join the domain using the "temp" IP address), change the IP address, then rejoin the domain?

366 Posts

February 17th, 2010 12:00

Hi,

yes, you need to unjoin the CIFS server from the domain before change it's ip address.

Look at primus emc166505 for instructions on how to change it on a VDM.

Gustavo Barreto.

23 Posts

February 17th, 2010 12:00

I found this in another forum (from Sandip) ...

Actually neither the Celerra nor the domain controller care very much about the IP address.

If you find the Unjoin/Join zu scary - there is another way.

Just create a new (logical) Interface with the new address and add it to your CIFS server. Then remove the old interface.

How to do that depends on your DART version.

With DART 5.6 we enhanced Celerra Manager with CIFS server modify functionality - there you just right-click on the CIFS server, select properties and select which interfaces are used.

We're using DART 5.6 so this sounds like a better approach than un-joining the domain etc. My question is, is DNS updated to reflect the IP address change (The switchover will update DNS to the "new/temp" IP address right?) or will that need to be done manually?

No Events found!