Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 9th, 2009 10:00

New NS480 only has 1 storage pool, how to create the clarata_r6 pool?

We have a new array. The only storage pool is the Performance pool. We have a DAE full of SATA's taht we want to use as a storage pool and allow it to default to the clarata_r6 pool and allow AVM to manage it.

We are having difficulties finding the process to create the pool so is is NOT a user defined storage pool.

Please advise.

366 Posts

September 9th, 2009 11:00

Hi,

the system pool will be automatically created when the new devices are seeing by the Celerra.

So, create the Raid Groups and LUNs, and add them to the NAS storage group, then you will see the pool clarata_r6.

Just keep in mind you need to use one of the supported templates ( 4+2 RAID 6, 6+2 RAID 6 or 12+2 RAID 6 ).

Gustavo Barreto.

1.5K Posts

September 9th, 2009 11:00

The system pools are already created - no need to create them manually. Once the Backend Array is configured to match clarata_r6 pool - the space is allocated to this pool. So for clarata_r6 - you need to configure the new DAE in supported RAID 6 SATA template - please use setup_clariion -init script from Command Line and choose the DAE and respective Template - or from Celerra Manager GUI - Celerras > Storage > System > Configure to configure the integrated storage for Celerra use. See more details and step by step process for the same here -

http://corpusweb130.corp.emc.com/ns/common/post_install/Configure_storage_Non_FC.pdf

If you have FC option enabled, then you need to configure the RAID Groups and LUNs from Navisphere. Follow this link to get more details for FC enabled systems -

http://corpusweb130.corp.emc.com/ns/common/post_install/Config_storage_FC_NaviManager.htm

Hope this helps,
Thanks,
Sandip

8.6K Posts

September 9th, 2009 14:00

as the others wrote you dont have to create system pools

you do need to configure raidgroups and LUNs for your SATA disks - the easiest way is to use the Storage Provisioning Wizard

It will also show you which pool the added disks would go to before having to actually create the raidgroups

see attached for some screenshots

Rainer

1 Attachment

306 Posts

September 11th, 2009 06:00

We had to open a case on this. You ready for this...

We had to clear our "cache" on our Internet Explorer and after we did this we were able to "see" the storage pool clarata_r6. So, it was already there with the disks in the pool..

306 Posts

September 11th, 2009 06:00

Thanks for the input..

82 Posts

September 11th, 2009 10:00

I try to avoid using the GUI as much as possible

cli is the best way to add/verify storage on the NAS

8.6K Posts

September 15th, 2009 07:00

I try to avoid using the GUI as much as possible

cli is the best way to add/verify storage on the NAS

I understand that - but in this case the GUI does save time and provides more flexibility than the CLI

259 Posts

December 18th, 2009 05:00

I am trying to provision two new dae's of 1TB sata disks on my NS80 with a cx3-80 backend, running dart 5.6.45-5.

I don't want to use the setup_clariion -init script because I need to label the Pool with the name for the Owning business unit.

In reading the 'How to configure storage using SPW.pdf', I right-click the Clariion under the Systems tab in Celerra Manager but I don't see the option 'Provision Storage...'. I only see the options, System, Disk Groups, Spare Disk Groups'

I'm not sure if this is code related or I need to be in a secret mode (ala engineering mode in navisphere manager) to enable this.

Thanks.

Jim

81 Posts

December 18th, 2009 07:00

Hi,

In Celerra Manager, use the configuration wizard to configure backend.  I don't recall the exact name of the tab but it is there in Celerra Manager for sure.

Thanks

259 Posts

December 18th, 2009 08:00

it must be a CX4 option. I am installing a new ns480 and that option to Provision Storage is there, but my NS80 is a cx3 backend and the option is not there.

thanks. I went ahead and ran the setup clariion script and used cli to create my striped volumes and pool.

Jim

8.6K Posts

December 18th, 2009 12:00

actually it does support CX3 but not NS80 for some reason - you also need 5.6.45

Provisioning Wizard for Celerra Manager

Provisioning Wizard for Celerra Manager is a new, stand-alone

wizard introduced in the Celerra Network Server version 5.6.45.3.

The Provisioning wizard helps you to configure unused or new disk

devices on a CLARiiON storage system. The wizard is only available

for unified Celerra models (NS and NX4 systems excluding NS80),

including Fibre Channel (FC) enabled models, attached to a single

CLARiiON backend. The wizard provides both an express and

custom mode.

Using Express mode, you can review and configure the capacity

summary and available pools for FC-enabled and non FC-enabled

Celerra. You can select to configure the storage with additional

storage protection. For FC-enabled Celerra, you can even reserve

disks for SAN.

Using Custom mode, you can review and configure the capacity

summary and available pools. You can select two of the following

modes as per your requirement: capacity mode, protection mode, and

performance mode. You can even reserve disks for future use.

To access the Provisioning wizard, select Celerras > [Celerra_name] >

Storage > Systems and right-click on the CLARiiON system. From the

dropdown menu, select Provision Storage to launch the wizard. The

Provisioning wizard can also be launched from Celerras >

[Celerra_name] > Wizards.

No Events found!