Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 21st, 2011 02:00

Request to suggest best method to migrate data

Hi All,

I have a scenario where I need to migrate a huge data ( x TB ) from source to target as mentioned below.

Source :  It has SAN environment where huge data ( x TB) is mapped to a windows host and the storage used is DMX4. (Production enviroment)

Target : It has NAS environment (Datamovers) and storage used is VMAX.

Can any one please suggest the best and fastest way that we can migrate the data from source to destination.

I thought of below options. please correct me if iam wrong and please add more.

1.  From target use CIFS and map the share on to the source windows host machine and do copy and paste of the data.

2.  From target use CDMS and establish the connection to source windows machine and do a migrate using CDMS options.

But as the above two approches are file level copy the time taken to do the migration of x TB will take days or weeks.

Is there any way that we can do a block level copy from source DMX4 to target VMAX and then map the luns to the host using the datamovers. I think we can do block level copy of data from source to destination but not sure if NAS datamovers will recognize the data on the target side.

please suggest the best and fastest way that we can migrate the data.

Thanks,

Prakruth

8.6K Posts

November 21st, 2011 03:00

Windows and Celerra use different file systems so there is no way to do a block-level copy

Rainer

15 Posts

December 1st, 2011 09:00

Hi,

Copy using EMCopy, share the source and use a diferent machine to do the job. I do a migration using EMCopy when the source is a Netapp to target Celerra .. 1TB take around 3hs with 128 thread.

You can divide in several EMCopy jobs, and start 10 ~ 20 in same time.

Leandro

2 Intern

• 

2.8K Posts

December 5th, 2011 23:00

Maybe copying LUN will cause some problems in the celerra, replication is better.

No Events found!