Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 14th, 2017 06:00

Restore Celera NDMP Backup into Unity or Isilon

Due to a Celerra NSX4 EOS june/2017 I will have to replace the box. I foresee these options, can someone help me to understand how viable they are? I have around 2PB of data on EMC Networker.

Replace with EMC Unity - Is Unity NDMP 100% compatible with Celerra NDMP so I can restore data from backups?

Use Volumes from Isilon - Is isilon NDMP compatible with Celerra NDMP backups?

Use Celerra Simulator - Can I use Celerra simulator to keep my restores? Is that supported?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

April 18th, 2017 19:00

Isilon NDMP is not compatible with Celerra/VNX

1 Rookie

• 

299 Posts

April 18th, 2017 22:00

Do you know is Unity a  valid NDMP restore target of VNX NDMP backup ?

130 Posts

April 19th, 2017 05:00

Yes, we do support backward compatibility.  There has been limited testing of Celerra > Unity though.  Engineering has tested VNX > Unity.

For VNX/Celerra > Unity restore…

You can restore, but there are caveats. New attributes in the UFS64 inode (new Unity file system) will not be available, but UFS32 (VNX/Celerra file system) compatible attributes will be available.  Unity also only supports 3-way, no direct connect 2-way.

• Internationalization – Unity will not restore files with internationalized names.
  • If the original backups are of dedupe filesystems, this is likely not to work, especially with Unity.
  • If the backup type is VBB, this will not work with Unity.
  • Please try and use the same backup software for the restores that was used for backup. (Unity compatible backup software is listed in the ESSM)

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 8th, 2017 23:00

You mention only dedupe filesystems, what about compressed? Is compressed filesystems on VNX can be restored to Unity?

No Events found!