Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

June 29th, 2012 01:00

Soft Quota exceeded but not received the warning pop-up

Hi,

we are working on NS20. User and Group Quota is created. I am getting the popup error when hard quota is exceeded, but not getting any warning pop-up when soft quota is exceeding..    

Rgds,

Jaideep

296 Posts

June 29th, 2012 02:00

Hi,

Check the parameter  , should be set to 3,

$server_param server_2 -f cifs -i sendMessage

make sure Messenger Service on the host is running fine, try restarting the same.

Sameer Kulkarni

25 Posts

June 29th, 2012 05:00

Thanks Sammer,But didnt worked for me.....

8.6K Posts

June 29th, 2012 06:00

Please see the quotas manual

25 Posts

June 29th, 2012 07:00

I afraid..... not able to see exact issue, as configuration is ok. I am sying bacuse I am getting error when hard quota exceeds. but no warning pop-up is displayed when soft quota exceeds, but in Celerra Manager, I can see the alerts...

June 30th, 2012 23:00

Since you are receiving the hard quota pop-up alerts, can you review your cifsmsg.txt file and confirm you have an entry for:

$warning.QuotaExceeded=

Possibly just for testing, can you modify/add the following lines:

$warning.QuotaExceeded=

This is a test of soft quotas

Note that the last line is a period.  Also, as a reminder, after you "put" the file, you need to restart CIFS service to reread it and for it to take effect.

25 Posts

July 1st, 2012 00:00

Yes Christopher , I think I need to manualy configure the warning message and follow the primus emc134927.

One more problem is that I need to reset the Root password in order to do this. (customer lost root password)..

Oops was thinking VNX when responding, but reread your post and realize you own an NS series.

In regards to the pop-ups, the process hasn't changed and everything above is still relevant, but technically the document specific to the NS series is: "Using Quotas on Celerra" available on Powerlink:

Home > Support > Technical Documentation and Advisories > Hardware/Platforms Documentation > Celerra Network Server > Installation/Configuration

As for the root password, the primus mentioned above and in regards to the NS series suggests there isn't a limit to a specific minimum version (as it does for VNX OE) and should work for 5.4, 5.5, 5.6, and 6.0.

jaideep@wipro wrote:

Yes Christopher , I think I need to manualy configure the warning message and follow the primus emc134927.

You can also reference the "Using Quotas on VNX" paper on Powerlink that Rainer had suggested earlier.  It is available via the following breadcrumb trail:

Home > Support > Technical Documentation and Advisories > Hardware/Platforms Documentation > VNX Series > Maintenance/Administration

jaideep@wipro wrote:

One more problem is that I need to reset the Root password in order to do this. (customer lost root password)..

I'm thinking by now that you probably found it by now:

emc168127: "How to reset the root password on a Linux Control Station using GRUB"

I don't have experience with this, but please note in regards to VNX, it suggests: "VNX Operating Environment (OE) for File 7.0.12.0 and later"

No Events found!