Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 11th, 2013 12:00

changing subnet mask

Is it possible to change the subnet mask of an interface? The interface is tied to a compname that is tied to an AD domain. I'd like to avoid having to remove the compname, delete the interface, create the interface and re-add the compname if at all possible.

thanks.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

January 11th, 2013 12:00

dart version ?

259 Posts

January 12th, 2013 07:00

I should also add that  the broadcast addressing is correct. only the mask is wrong.DART version 6.0.61-0

8.6K Posts

January 14th, 2013 10:00

Sure – why not

It it wont let you change it directly and you dont want to stop CIFS you can always – add a temp interface – remove and change the original interface – add the original interface and remove the temp one

AD doesn’t care about interfaces or even IP’s

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

January 14th, 2013 11:00

just tried it on my NS-120, worked fine 6.0.41 (used Unisphere)

259 Posts

January 14th, 2013 11:00

server_ifconfig doesn't have an option to edit the subnet mask field. AD may not care bout the IP but dns does. Just trying to avoid downtime. I know I can unjoin the compname, delete the netbios name from the interface, delete and recreate the interface, and re-add the netbios name and re-join the domain.

I am just hoping to find a way to just update the subnet mask instead.

I opened up a SR.

Thanks

259 Posts

January 15th, 2013 05:00

hmmm, althogh the gui lets me change the subnetmask, it won't let me because the interface is currently in use by a cifs server name.

I stopped cifs services and  still received the same message.

It looks like I will need to free up the interface before I can change the subnet mask.

259 Posts

January 15th, 2013 05:00

Thank you Dynamox! Such a simple solution. Here I was looking at the cli when I just needed to use the gui.

259 Posts

January 15th, 2013 06:00

I have to go into CIFS Server tab and uncheck the interface assigned to the netbios name, then I can change the mask (or any other interface property). A brief outage that I'll have to mitigate with my endusers.

Ranier, I understand what you meant now. I attribute my slow understanding to my advanced age.

Thanks guys.

8.6K Posts

January 15th, 2013 06:00

Yes, we wont let you change an interface that is in use by a CIFS server

We also used to prevent removing the last interface from a CIFS server – not sure if its still the case

If yes you need to add a temp interface

No Events found!