Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 30th, 2012 05:00

particular corrupt security permissions wile migrating data

Hi everyone,

I hope I can get some hints from you for my problem. We use a file virtualization appliance from F5 called Acopia (ARX4000) for migrating data between different cifs shares on clerra (i.e. files/folders older than 1 year will be migrated to a filesystem based on SATA disks). We use this appliance for several years now and it worked fine with the NS42G. The appliance is Microsoft DFS aware and when it moves data it preserves every bit of the data.

Now we have to migrate all the data on the NS42G to our VNX5500. This is also done with the F5 appliance as we have to rearrange the data on differnet new shares - so replication is not an option. During the last migrations we recognized some strange phenomenoms on particular files on the destination cifs share of the VNX5500 :  there were some files/folders which didn't have any security information anymore. The funny thing is this: while most of the files in a directory have correct security information there are very few ones which do not. So it is not the whole parent directory with everything beneath it which has wrong securtity settings but only some particular files. All other files are correct.

So if users open a service request because they cannot access their data we always solve it by setting the correct permissions and security attributes on the parent folder and access is possible again.

Now my question:

Should we set the following parameters permanently as we do regularly data migrations with the appliance ?

our settings:                                                                      suggested settings for robocopy-migrations:

acl.mappingErrorAction    cifs   0                    3
acl.retryAuthSid          cifs   10         600

acl.FailOnSDRestoreError  cifs            1          0

The phenomenoms occured more often in the last time as we massively migrate data off the NS42G to the VNX5500.

What do yo think ?  What do you recommend ?

Many thanks in advance for every statement.

Frank

1.2K Posts

October 30th, 2012 07:00

If you haven't done so, open a ticket with F5.  If you check the e-Lab Navigator, you'll see a different version supports VNX OE 7.x and later, different from the version that supports DART 6.0 and later.  If you aren't on the right code, that could be a source of thie issue.  What do the F5 logs show for each copy event?

9 Posts

October 30th, 2012 09:00

Hi Karl,

where did you find the info about the differnt version? I got to the e-Lab Navigator but when I choos VNX OE 7 I do not get useful results.

1.2K Posts

October 30th, 2012 10:00

You can get the same information on the F5 Support site.  Search for the F5 Data Solutions Compatability Matrix.  It was updated on 10/24/2012 and will show the following:

• Requires ARX v6.0.0 for EMC VNX

Make sure you're on this release of ARX code or later.  The F5 logs should also have some useful information.

9 Posts

October 31st, 2012 02:00

Hi Karl,

thank you for the information. I will also check the logs of the F5 with our colleagues.

No Events found!