Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 1st, 2011 11:00

procedure to delete and recreate storage pools

I have an NX4 with 12 300GB SAS and 12 1TB SATA drives in a DAE.  I used the disk provisioning wizard to create 2 pools using 11 of the SATA and 6 of the unused SAS drives.  I had only the capacity box checked for both.  The pools were created and show up in Unisphere manager.

Now I am curious on what the proper procedure is to delete those pools so I can recreate them with the capacity and performance boxes checked so I can see what the different configuration will look like.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

March 1st, 2011 16:00

did you create any file systems ? If not you can use "nas_disk -l" to list all devices Celerra knows about. There should be an "n' in the "inuse" column. You need to delete these disks first (except the ones the say root_disk): nas_disk -delete [[-perm]|[-unbind]]. This command will delete these disks from Celerra and unbind them in Navisphere.

See this pdf for supported configuration for NX4

http://corpusweb130.corp.emc.com/ns/common/post_install/Configure_storage_Non_FC.pdf

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

March 2nd, 2011 05:00

delete simply deletes them from Celerra perspective, at this point you can go into Navisphere and unbind them manually ...or you can append -unbound to nas_disk command which will also unbound them in Clariion.

20 Posts

March 2nd, 2011 05:00

Ok. So I did the nas_disk -l and saw all my disks, with exception of the first 6 were N for "in use".   I did a nas_disk -delete d7 -perm and then d8 etc.. until I removed all the non-used disks.

I ran the disk provisioning wizard again and it immediately completed all the tasks and never asked me to configure anything.  I did another nas_disk -l and all the non-used disks were back.  I repeated the nas_disk -delete again and cleared them out.

I went into Navisphere express and my disk pools were still there so I go rid of there, except for Disk Pool 1.  I then re-ran the disk provisioning wizard and it again immediately completed the process.

What am I missing here?  Do I need to do the -unbind too?  I thought the -perm deleted and did unbind.

20 Posts

March 2nd, 2011 06:00

After I deleted the disk pools and it ran through the provisioning wizard quickly the second time, the disks were showing as 'unbound' in the hardware screen on Unisphere.

I ran the provisioning wizard again and it came up correctly this time and allowed me to configure how I wanted the disks provisioned.  I proceeded and it is now Successful on the 'Verifying Config' and 'Configuring Storage'.   Its on the 'Binding' section with 4 hours and 59 seconds left.   Seems alot longer than when I did it the first time.   I hope there is nothing wrong.  No errors as of yet.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

March 2nd, 2011 07:00

when you bind LUNs for the very first time it's called fast-bind , if you delete and re-create RG/LUNs ..it's going to be a regular bind operation but that should not stop you from using the storage.

8.6K Posts

March 3rd, 2011 06:00

That is normal - Binding a disk for the first time uses quick-bind which is faster

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

March 3rd, 2011 07:00

fast bind ..not quick bind

No Events found!