Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 22nd, 2010 11:00

Adding a directory to CUA already in EA pair

I have a customer looking to add another share to their existing CUA setup with a unique retention period to their Enhanced Availability environment.

Without EA, I see that I must create the new directory under gateway_cifs, set the data retention, and modify the smb.conf to allow their specified group to that share.  I haven't figure out what the required changes to the smb.conf file will need to be though.

What I need to figure out is how the configuration gets to the standby CUA.  Is the configuration copied to the standby when it is initialized, similarly configured, or updated periodically.

Chuck

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 5th, 2010 16:00

Hello Chuck,

When you have two CUA's setup up in EA. Only the active CUA will be the one issuing the nightly backups. The backup includes both the CUA database and system configuration files (e.g. smb.conf).

When both systems are in EA. The active CUA sends database updates to the standby CUA.

If and when the active CUA fails due to a either a hardware or software crash. A failover to the standby CUA can be initiated.

During the failover process. The standby CUA begins to download and install the configuration files from the active CUA. It is at this point the standby CUA becomes the new production CUA; everything will be the same except for the IP address and hostname. At this point access to your data will be restored.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

April 5th, 2010 18:00

Obrigadu,

what happens what active CUA is hard down, what would be the process for activating stand-by CUA.  There is no need to restore CUA database since it's been getting its updates from active CUA right ?

Thanks

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 6th, 2010 08:00

If it so happens that the ACUA is hard offline. To limit any further business discontinuity for your users. The best route would be to failover to the SCUA.

However, the plan would only be put in place if neither support or the field is able to remedy the issue in an acceptable time period for the customer. Of course no one wants their production environment impacted any longer.

Thanks

No Events found!