Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 26th, 2009 11:00

CASSCRIPT ClipInfo Size Unit

When looking at ClipInfo in the CASSCRIPT utility, what unit is the "Size" of the clip displayed in?

October 27th, 2009 00:00

Hi
The value is in bytes.

Holger

October 28th, 2009 06:00

Is that the size for the entire clip and data? The reason I am asking is because we are testing a new application and archiving documents from that application to the Centera. Checking 4 different objects before writing them to the Centera and after we get are getting the following information:

Size (pri) --->CASSCRIPT Size
511 Bytes 879 bytes
3,011 Bytes 1,173 Bytes
11,317 Bytes 1,173 Bytes
33,710 Bytes 2,811 Bytes

If the size that CASSCRIPT is returning is for the clip and data then, I understand how the first may be a little larger on the centera, but the last 3 examples are all smaller on the Centera, considerably. Can anyone help shed some light on this for me?

October 28th, 2009 07:00

Hi
JCASScript is basically performing SDK calls. From the SDK Documentation on FPClip_GetTotalSize the description is clear:
Quote from the API Reference Guide:
This function returns the total size (in bytes) of all blobs associated with the given C-Clip.
Note: The returned size does not include the size of the CDF.

I hope this clarifies it enough. If not, just let me know. It might help to read the CDF you are questioning using the CLI Tools in order to find out which function reports what.

There are things you may want to consider:
If your application does embedded blobs, the first small object would be base64 encoded which would add some overhead/size to the embedded object. Don't know exactly how this encoding impacts the reported size, though. (best would be to read the CDF to double check).
For the other files the question is of your application performs some kind of compression (like EnterpriseVault does, for example) before archiving to Centera. In this case you would only get the compressed size from JCASScript as the Centera receives the smaller resp. compressed object only.

Best regards, Holger

Holger
No Events found!