Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 17th, 2008 21:00

Can Centera be Partitioned?

Good Morning,

We just have our Centera box ¿reformatted¿ and DisxXtender server freshly re-installed, the next move is obviously will be pushing the archived data to DX and Centera.
We need EMC expert advice on below questions:

1. With the purpose of protecting DX and EX archived data in Centera, is it possible to configure separate partitioning in Centera?

2. If it is indeed possible? How a customer be able to do no.1? Is it thru creating separate Virtual Pool in Centera thus creating separate Profile (1 of DX and 1 for EX)?

3. What is EMC recommendation for enabling/disabling Versioning features in Centera? What is the impact of each option?

4. What is EMC recommendation if ¿ after the new DX reinstalled and reconfigured - there is requirement for ability to delete information within Centera if required by user or Business Unit?

5. If no.4 is possible, how can we reconfigure so that only some staffs (non-MIS) have the ability to delete information within Centera, if required by user or Business Unit?

Thank you very much for your assistance and support.

Regards,

/J

19 Posts

March 19th, 2008 10:00

1. Centera uses a custom API to have data written to it. With that said, do not think of the box in typical storage terms. You simply dump data into the box and it sorts out where it's stored. I'm not 100% sure if DX or EX has the functionality to split up your data, but I would imagine it does.

2. I would recommend organizing data using separate profiles for a separate home pool.

3. I'm not sure what you mean by this question.

4. If there is no link to data any longer, DX has a built in query function that can grab all clips that it's written in the past and hten you can issue deletes. The alternative is to have Centera field support reinitialize the cluster which deletes all data on the Centera.

5. Security or interaction with the Centera should be defined by the customer's network security or the application itself. Centera security uses a profile and secret to allow for interactions with the box. The application typically has this information saved meaning you need to limit access to the application itself or the server housing the application.

Let me know if you have follow-up questions.

Regards,
Steven Ruo

3 Posts

March 28th, 2008 06:00

If you are going the EMC way - Do not partition the Centera with Linux commands ( I am not sure if users have the rights but anyways!). Blobs are just binary for Centera. Partition is for your convinience.

Best way to partition out data is using Virtual Pools. To do this, create a virtual pool and create a profile with the home pool as that virtual pool. By doing this way who so ever logs on to Centera with that particular profile, the data would automagically fall into that Virtual pool.
If you want to clear and clean all data on Centera, EMC recommends a Prof. service engagement for that, but if you want to delete few files on your own on your centera, go for it - as long as you have the rights and policies are set that way.
To configure other users to delete, data give them delete rights in there access profiles.
Keep in mind, Centera governance edition (CE) or CE+ keeps a reflection log everytime a delete is made. Its just a log telling who deleted what and when.
No Events found!