Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 20th, 2010 14:00

Centera changed pea file secret on its own

We have been running a custom app and using the Centera API.  It's a merged PEA file that includes source and target pea file details.  The last 2 days the app was getting read errors randomly.  Then this afternoon it stopped totally and got auth failed.  Within minutes the applicaiton was down.  We requested the app teams pea file and tested with verify.  It was sporadic and then just failed.  I did update profile and made no changes and created the pea file.  It is not the same file as we had been using.  I made a new merged pea file and the application created a build and pushed.  It is working now.

With no changes to the profile on the Centera how can this PEA file just change?  The target pea file is the same file, only the target.  We have EMC support looking at this issue but I'm hoping to see what the forums can provide me.

Gen3 Centera  C* 4.0.1-3037-968-20621 (40112)

Centera API 3.2p2.

AIX 5.3

They did rollout a new build utilizing the 3.2p2 API May 15th and ran 24x7 until today.  An API change can't change a profile secret though.

Any feedback is welcome.

Thanks

124 Posts

To be clear - This can happen if anyone creates a pea file using an old viewer - EMC Services included (although everyone here is supposed to be using the latest versions, someone may have created a pea file for testing purposes using an old viewer which ultimately changed the secret)

This may be due to recent service performed on the Centera

13 Posts

Thanks Dennis.  Let me try to be clearer here.

The pea file we were using is around a year old.  We've never update the pea file until today.  The pea file we were using for almost a year quite working today.  The EMC support engineer attempted to use it to open clips as well.  They all failed auth.  Then he regenerated a pea file and it worked on the source.

Based on what I can see the Centera stopped authenticating with the known good pea file.  As soon as we recreated brand new pea files, it started working again.  We also have 2 other applications using this centera and they are not having any problems.

We are using 4.0.2 viewer but I can't say I know why authentication can stop based on connecting the gui to C* to check health or track support cases.  We've generated this pea file on different viewers and they have always been the same.  I imagine the secret is stored on the Centera and can only change if the profile is modified.  It appears to me that the centere secret changed for some reason that i am not aware of why it would.

thanks,

124 Posts

There was a bug in the Centera Viewer application where if an older version of the viewer was used to create a pea file, the profile secret was changed.

By creating a pea file, I am referring to using the CLI "update profile " then accepting the defaults and entering "yes" when prompted to save changes (even though there were no changes) and then creating the pea file.

This has since been fixed in newer CV versions however older versions of the viewer may still cause this.

Make sure you are using the latest version of the viewer.

No Events found!