Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

November 16th, 2009 09:00

How to delete content from a pool.

What kind of tools I have, to delete content from a pool where the old application (DiskXtender) is not available?

What do you suggest cascommandline tools or CASScript?

I have the credentials to the pool. I have the delete and privileged delete rights to the pool. Cheked it with c-ping, delete allowed, privileged-delete allowed, purge not-allowed.

Using the c-list I can query the ClipID's, then with c-stat I get some information and can check they are realy the Clip's what I want to delete.

Yes they are!

Then I need to delete them and then check they are all gone.

I tried to delete using c-del but without any success.

When I used c-del without any special delete option, then I got the following error

Low level API error occurred: Client error code = (-10156), system error code = 17 - 4H********************ClipID************************6, Transaction on the server failed (transid='hostname/6/DELETE_CLIP').

I tried purge, then I did not get any erro message, but when I check the existence of a clip whit c-stat or c-validate, it is still there.

Could you tell me what is the problem?

After the delete is it necessary to run the garbage collector, to free up the space?

Thank You, Krisztian

After I post this I found this thread:

https://community.emc.com/message/10203#10203

I forgot to mention that Centera system in my case is full too, and it is a GE (Goverance Ed.) but retention is not set on this pool what i mentioned.

Krisztian

409 Posts

try using jcasscript although what you are doing should work.

Don't use purge in case you are single instancing on the cluster.

the command line tools are no longer supported, jcasscript is.

129 Posts

Thank You for the answer,but it seems in the other thread what I linked, somebody else had the same isssue.

I my case the Centera is full too, and i get this error. I cheked the supported obj. count is 75M/node in my case.

I think I am going to contact ENC support to lower this value and maybe then I can delete without any problem.

Krisztian

129 Posts

November 24th, 2009 07:00

EMC lowered the supported object count (SOC) value on the Centera, and then I was able to delete data.

136 Posts

November 24th, 2009 08:00

Thanks Krisztian for updating this thread. Glad to hear that your issue was resolved.

13 Posts

December 17th, 2009 08:00

Hi,

I need to do something similar and I don´t want to use sdk but I can´t find the cascommandline tools.

could you tell me where I can find it?

Thanks.

Andres Nourian.

417 Posts

December 17th, 2009 10:00

Andres - the command line tools are not distibuted any more. You should use JCAScript - this is the supported tool for working with content outside of the original application.

https://community.emc.com/docs/DOC-2393

13 Posts

December 17th, 2009 12:00

Thanks gstuartemc!

I´m reading the JCASScript users manual and I think this are the correct steps to connect - query and delete the c-clips for a virtual pool

To connect to the cluster

CASScript>poolOpen x.x.x.x?c:\centera\file.pea

to query the c-clips ids

CASScript>query

to remove the c-clips listed on the query

CASScript>clipDel BPLCN5SC6GAJ4e5NHLR9SLTNIA0

Then the GC will be remove the blobs.

This is correct or I missed something?

Thanks a lot,

Andres.

136 Posts

December 17th, 2009 13:00

Hi Andres,

That is correct.

Note that for query, you can also set an upper/lower bound to include time bound search (use help on the CASScript prompt and you will see something like querysetupperbound and querysetlowerbound)

417 Posts

December 17th, 2009 13:00

Andres - be VERY careful that you only have Read / Query / Delete permission on the virtual pool whose contents you wish to delete! Query will return the results of ALL cclips in pools that you have Read and Query capabilities on, and this includes the default pool - which you obviously do not want to try and empty!!

So create a new profile with very limited access capabilities to match your needs. I would also recommend disabling Delete completely on the default pool while you are performing this operation (just to be on the safe side).

13 Posts

December 18th, 2009 04:00

Thanks to both of you for the advice.

I will do that to be sure I´m not deleting the wrong cclips.

Thanks a lot!

Andres.

December 21st, 2009 02:00

Hi Paul,

just I´m interesting following the communication about delete of C-Clips on Centera.

Is there a way or tool availablt to delete C-Clips maybe via JCASScript or things like that based on a dump txt file.

I have approx 8 million objects left on EMC in default pool which needs to be deleted.

Is there a script available to include a txt file with all clips into the command string of JCASScript

Thanks

Manfred

136 Posts

December 21st, 2009 10:00

Hi Manfred,

We do not have any publicly available tool that allows mass clip deletion on a production system. In an ideal case the deletion is handled at the application level so that it updates the databases and any other related information that it stores for references purposes (important if you are using a compliance model of Centera and are bound by any compliance regulations that require you to keep track of when/why a particular content was deleted).

If you just want the clips to be deleted and do not care about any application specific updates or compliance then I suggest you open up a service request with EMC Support and have them take a look at it.

Thanks,
Zeeshan

1 Message

September 17th, 2012 06:00

Hello Manfred,

Did you succeed to delete your 8 million objects ?

With what mean (have you invoked EMC support as Zeehan Khan suggested you ?)

Thanks.

Jean

No Events found!