Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 25th, 2013 11:00

Is there a command for a Gen 4 to erase the data on the nodes?

Decommisioning an old 20 node (500GB's) centera gen 4 system.  Want to wipe the data off the disks, or format them so no data is left.  Does not have to compliant.  is there a command or commands I can run?

Thanks!

216 Posts

January 30th, 2013 06:00

Hi,

As far as I know we'll be unable to delete the data from the node directly. You can probably delete the data from the same application which was used to write data into the cluster.

Regards

Satish.N.Kutty

216 Posts

February 11th, 2013 03:00

Hi,

Any updates on the issue...

Regards

Satish.N.Kutty

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 13th, 2013 09:00

There is no user command to erase the Centera. Contact your support team with a letter acknowledging data loss on the required S/N. They can schedule a re-init of the Centera.

March 5th, 2013 03:00

EMC offers a Service PS-BAS-CENNDE (Centera Node Data Erasure), which overwrites all information on each disk of a node 7 times. This service includes a certificate, that all data have been erased

129 Posts

April 18th, 2013 05:00

Or you have to go on your own. I did it using a Knoppix CD and hdparm utility triggering the data erasure utility built in the SATA firmware. It was lightning fast. One pass on a 320GB HDD was 1,5 hour.

After a CICM migration, on every node I installed Knoppix (~4G space 20 minutes an install) to the first drive, and erased the other three drives. Then installed Knoppix on a already erased drive, then wiped the first drives.

Regards, Krisztian

1 Message

October 20th, 2023 16:42

@szekelyk​ 

I've 2 Centeras, one of them I can turned off and format the drives, but the other one I want to keep turned on. My question is, If I formart the drives keeping the partition structure can I replace if any drive fails in other centera?

No Events found!