Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 6th, 2012 09:00

Rainfinity/Centera, Cannot open stub files after restore

How do I retreive data from the Centera when it has been deleted by orphan deletion policy?

Scenario:

Stub files are deleted by a user on Augst 31. 

Stub scanner runs on Sept. 2, marks blobs as orphans. 

Orphan deletion runs on Sept. 5.  Deletes orphans.

On Sept 6,  user realizes files are gone and needs them back.  We are using checkpoints so we checked them.  Stub files are there but cannot be copied.  We then restored the stub files from tape to original location but still cannot open them. 

Obviously the problem is that the data that the stubs point to has been deleted.  Garbage collection is scheduled to run in two days so at least that hasn't occurred.

124 Posts

September 6th, 2012 09:00

If these were deleted from the application, then these were deleted on the Centera. The clips were deleted and reflections created.

The blobs may still exist for these if GCii has not run however there are remaining issues (disable GCii scheduling)

- EMC would need the clip ID’s for the deleted objects (see below)

- An old integrity checker results directory must reside somewhere on the Centera and be run after these clips were initially written to Centera in order to be able to associate these deleted clips to their associated blobs.

- The blobs would need to be manually copied off the Centera and provided back to you

- You would then need to rename these to the original object names and place in the appropriate directories (see below)

- You would then need to rewrite these back to Centera

*This assumes that the application still has reference to these deleted clips else you will not be able to provide the clip IDs and you will not be able to associate these clips to application files and directories.

I also believe this is a paid engagement by EMC professional services

Dennis

124 Posts

September 6th, 2012 10:00

Yes and yes – Disable GCii ASAP

Regards

Dennis

17 Posts

September 6th, 2012 10:00

So in other words,  open an SR?

These files weren't used by an application.  They were just user files that resided on a CIFS share on a Celerra.  I'm assuming it would be the same process to get them back as you described above.?

No Events found!