Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 30th, 2010 07:00

XAM API Awareness of total/available storage capacity?

Hello all,

I'm currently midway through some Centera integration for my company and have come across a problem in the C API - Is there any API function for finding out how much storage capacity there is in the Centera storage container that one is accessing, preferably both remaining space available and space in total? Either one I could work with; if the API can only quantify total capacity then maintaining a "Size" metadata field and basic arithmetic will enable the program to keep check. I know it sounds like a basic question but right now I'm at a loss to find references to either property in any of the documentation - the doxygen pages, the pdfs, the website and even reading every .h file in the includes directory. Any help would be very gratefully received.

Regards,

Jamie

409 Posts

May 3rd, 2010 06:00

Jamie

check out the centera vim reference documentation (available with the XAM download) and check out table 9 or search for freeSpace

You'll see in there a list of fields that are available on the XSystem object.  

11 Posts

May 4th, 2010 03:00

Thanks Paul, that's exactly what I was after.

208 Posts

May 6th, 2010 06:00

Hi Jamie -

One point of advice I would like to give you - and I think Paul would agree - is that you should not insert logic to pre-emptively prevent writes to a target XSystem (Centera in this case) based on what these capacity numbers report.  It's more effective to always attempt to write, and beef up your error handling for cases where the write fails.   Writes can fail for many more reasons than just space issues, so time spent in this area of an integration pays off  in robustness whereas with Centera's single instance model and ongoing garbage collection the available capacity picture changes constantly and accurately predicting whether a particular write will succeed is difficult.

I'd very much like to hear other's input on this issue.

Regards,

Mike Horgan

No Events found!