Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 11th, 2012 02:00

deleting a pool on a centera

Hi all,

I have to delete a pool on a Primary Centera and the related pool on the Secondary Centera. I don't need the date saved on it
My question is: How do I have to proceed in order to delete the pool. Should I do some preliminary actions before performing the delete pool command? Do I get back available space on the centera after performing delete pool command?

Please provide info regarding how should be performed delete pool command e which preliminary activities must be done in order to carry out the activity in safety.

Thanks in advance for your help

216 Posts

July 11th, 2012 03:00

Hi,

In Centera a Pool cannot be deleted or removed once data is written in to it. However you can remove or delete the data written in the pool. The pool quota is soft quota limit and will not occupy any space on the cluster unless data is written into it again.

Regards

Satish.N.Kutty

46 Posts

July 11th, 2012 03:00

Until CentraStar 4.2.1, a pool that once contained user data could never be deleted. This is

because even after the deletion of user data, the reflections of the user data remained in

the pool, preventing the pool from deletion. This imposed a limitation on the number of

pools (100, 300, or more) that can be configured on a cluster. CentraStar 4.2.1 introduces

the Reflection Expiration feature that provides a way to delete reflections from a pool. The

Reflection Expiration feature allows deletion of pools that once contained data but now

only contain reflections. This feature provides users with the option to enable or disable

reflection expiration, set the expiration age, identify the pools to be included in reflection

expiration, and monitor the expiration task using the Centera Viewer GUI.

To obtain the latest Tools which contain the Online Help refer to knowledge solution emc181709   "What versions of EMC Centera utilities should be used to manage the cluster?".

Within the Online help refer to sections:

How do I > Set Reflection Expiration for pools.
How do I > Delete a pool

July 13th, 2012 06:00

Hi GDN

As GBcentera stated, if you can delete the pool or not depends on your C* version.

The following procedure is what we typically perform:

- create a list of clips in your pool

- delete these clips

- delete the clips with Privileged Delete if they are still under retention

After this you'll have a pool that shows no capacity, clips or files.

If you are on less than 4.2.1 this is it.

If you are at 4.2.1 enable reflection expiry on this pool. Wait for at least three months because this is the minimum age of reflections that you can expire. Then delete the pool.

Should you have any need for assistance please contact me on the maill address in my profile.

Best regards, Holger

337 Posts

August 9th, 2012 08:00

Thanks Holger and GBcentera for the update on 4.2.1

1 Message

February 11th, 2015 01:00

Sorry for awaking an old thread..

I am at 4.3, if I look at the refections tab under garbage collection, it says "the cluster is configured in GE mode, please confirm ur companys policy before permanent deletion"

Does it mean that in 4.3 if I am on a GE mode, I don't need this and If I Delete a Pool, the data under the pool would get deleted anyways? Or is there another way to do it.

Thanks.

No Events found!