Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 20th, 2009 05:00

pool and retention period

Hi all,

I'm new about Centera. I'm not be able to find where there is the "link" beetwen a pool defined on Centera and retention applied.

In other words I connet on the Centera Cli, I find that there is 3 retention class, some pool, but I didn't find any link about pool "xyz" (that contained files of some application) and the retention applied on the files in this pool.

My application generate file (tar file and legal log files) on a Linux machine over a udm file system. Next we have DiskExtender that manage the "copy" and "shutcutiing" of these files on the Centera.

Some one can help me?

Thank's in advantage and sorry for my english.

Paolo

136 Posts

November 20th, 2009 08:00

Hi Paolo,

I recommend that you start by reviewing the EMC Centera white paper on Compliance which provides a good summary of what retention is and how it is applied.

An application can either assign a fixed retention period or associate a retention class to an object when it is stored on Centera. You can also set the pool to have a default retention period and in that case if an application does not supply a retention period or a retention class, the default retention period of the pool is used. Do a 'show pool detail xyz' and it should provide you with details on the pool specific retention information. Note that you need a minimum of GE or CE+ compliance Centera in order to utilize the Retention functionality.

In order to find the retention applied to a particular object/file you will need the Content Address (CA) or clipID of that object (clipID's are generally stored in the application databases). You can then use the CA along with JCASScript to do a simple raw view of the clipID and it should show you the retention information.

Details on how to use JCASScript are included in the users manual that comes as part of the download.

Hope this helps.

2 Posts

November 20th, 2009 09:00

Thank's a lot for the answer, very clarify.

I will try JCASScript.

Paolo

No Events found!