Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

January 6th, 2017 05:00

Anyone tried vSphere 6.5 VMFS6 auto unmap?

The VMware HCL says the new auto unmap requires SCOS 7.1 (which is key customer still).  I have tried it on a SCOS 6.7.11 and the auto unmap doesnt appear to be reclaiming. Its strange why SCOS 7.1 would be required, maybe the VAAI primitive has changed a bit?

44 Posts

January 10th, 2017 06:00

Yes I saw that yesterday. I am going to upgrade to it next week and report back. Thanks,,,

52 Posts

January 10th, 2017 06:00

SCOS 7.1.4 is now available.

44 Posts

July 16th, 2017 15:00

So I finally upgraded to scos 7.1.12. And after deleting some test VMs on a vmfs6 datastore, I see zero evidence of any unmap commands being sent after 2 days. I kept esxtop up for a couple of hours even with vaaistats turned on and saw zero unmap commands being sent. Has anyone seen this work?

July 26th, 2017 18:00

The issues is that the Automatic UNAMP for ESX is not working even when the block size of the VMFS6 volume is 1MB and the granularity is also set to 1MB.

According to VMware this feature is not supported at this time on Arrays such as the Compellent arrays. This is on the release notes for ESX 6.5

pubs.vmware.com/.../vsphere-esxi-vcenter-server-65-release-notes.html

"Automatic UNMAP is not supported on arrays with UNMAP granularity greater than 1MB."

And it is further explained in the following article.

cormachogan.com/.../

31 Posts

July 27th, 2017 11:00

Actually you can get Auto-reclaim to work  if you install, or reconfigure your compellent datapage size to 512k. I am too scared to do that, I am using the standard 2MB datapage size currently.

No Events found!