Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

June 14th, 2018 01:00

Data Progression and Snapshot Profile correlation

Hi,

I'm new to SC series, setting up a SC5020 for a vSphere environment with 3 Tiers (SSD Read intensive, SAS 10K, NL-SAS 7k) 

Reading the documentation I found the following statement in the Dell EMC SC Series Storage and Microsoft Windows Server 2016:

As a Data Progression best practice, apply at least one snapshot profile to each volume with a snapshot expiration of at least 25 hours. The Data Progression process will not work optimally for a volume unless the volume has at least one unexpired snapshot available at the time Data Progression runs

Does this best practice applies also to a vSphere Environment?

If so, what I understand is I have to create a snapshot profile for each volume, what would be the recommended settings for this snapshot profile if I only  want to use it for this purpose, I'm thinking in the following ones?

Only one rule

Standard Creation method
Frecuency: Daily
Time: 6 PM (keeping in mind that the data progression would run at 7 PM every day and it should have an active snapshot when it happens)
Expiration:  Not sure here,  28 hours should be enough? I mean I don't understand well the relation between the time when the data progression starts, the duration of the data progression and the time where the snapshot should be created

And then apply this snapshot profile to all volumes

Thanks in advance

Andrew

• 

7.1K Posts

June 14th, 2018 08:00

Hello Andrew,

Here is our best practice guide for using VMware with an SC system. http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/extras/m/white_papers/20441056

You are correct that you want your snapshots to start and complete before data progression runs.  When you setup a snapshot profile it will take your snapshots on one or multiple volumes according to the settings that is set in the profile.  Here is a link to the administrator guide & if you look on page 114 it explains how to configure your snapshot profile for one or multiple volumes. http://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/storage-sc2000_administrator-guide_en-us.pdf

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

No Events found!