Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

3 Posts

September 9th, 2021 11:00

Drive showing a status of "Down" after install

Our Compellent just fell off support and we experienced a drive failure.  For a replacement, I  a used drive that was removed from a Compellent Shelf which had previously been attached to the same CT-SC8000 controller.  I followed the typical drive replacement procedure, but the new drive is showing a status of "DOWN" in the GUI.  When physically looking at the drive in the enclosure, the status lights are green.  I found some information online saying that the previous configuration on the drive needs to be cleared in order for the system to show the drive as up.  I am familiar with going into the "shellaccess developer" mode to issue advanced commands, but since this documentation is not made public, I do not know what commands I need to use.   Would clearing the drive config change the drive status to UP?  What is the command and syntax to clear the drive config?

2.9K Posts

September 10th, 2021 07:00

Good morning,

Any commands or syntax requiring that level of access require a phone support case, unfortunately. If you can share which piece of software you're using to manage the unit, I'd be happy to look into it and get back to you.

3 Posts

September 10th, 2021 07:00

The Compellent Environment is being managed with the "Dell Storage Client - Dell Enterprise Manager 2015 R1 Build: 15.1.10.89"

The replacement Drive that was installed had the exact same part number and exact same firmware as other drives running in the enclosure, so I  feel confident that the replacement drive should work.

Thank you!

Thank you!

2.9K Posts

September 10th, 2021 12:00

I spoke with Compellent support, the response I got is that the commands necessary are in developer mode, like we'd talked about prior, and they also have the capacity to completely wipe the system.

I'd encourage you to contact phone support regardless though, specifically because of the domain name I see for your email. I'm fairly confident that you should be able to receive additional support, due to other contracts. Please take that with a grain of salt, because I'm not sure of the specifics, but I do believe you should be able to get assistance.

3 Posts

September 15th, 2021 12:00

Thank you for your assistance and recommendation.  I will try to reach out to support for help.   Thank you.

5 Posts

June 17th, 2022 09:00

Hello, only for share experience, even late.

If you in any moment before tested this disk and removed from this storage, it created a historical register that you need to remove it.
Then in "shellacess developer":
1. Take note of index of the disk by "disk show";
2. Take of the disk from storage;
3. Remove the index register: disk delete ;

After this, follow the default steps to replace.

These steps for me resolved and the disk gone UP.

September 5th, 2022 07:00

Hello ddk13

i have the same issue in SC8000 and wondering if you reached out a solution for this issue, if so would you share it with us please  : )

thank you 

September 5th, 2022 08:00

Hi EduardoKM

after delete the index number it took next number and disk still status Down - Healthy Yes.

Any recommendation..

1 Message

April 6th, 2023 00:00

Can anyone suggest a solution for this . I am also facing same issue on a SCv3000 array.

Disk show returns Operstatus - Down but it is healthy, Disk Class identified correctly, Parentfolder is 1 instead of standard 3

How to turn Operatational status to up ?

• 

631 Posts

April 6th, 2023 01:00

Hello, maybe clearing the drive configuration could help resolve the issue. Therefore, I recommend with the contact with phone support. Because they can try some steps with compollent's CLI interface. By the way, check cables and connectors: Make sure the drive's cables and connectors are properly connected and secure. It is important to note that deleting a drive configuration may result in data loss. So, make sure you have backed up your data before proceeding with this step.

No Events found!