Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 28th, 2015 09:00

Import data to the lowest tier of storage

Hi Guys,

So I have selected this for some backup RDMs, my question is why have the replays frozen on that volume?

Also what does Allow replays to coalesce into active replay do?

The replay expired on the 21st of october? what is the best way to proceed exactly. If I unexpire it it says the data could end up moving tiers?

28 Posts

October 29th, 2015 14:00

When you take a replay, it freezes the data at that point in time (a "Frozen" replay). A replay marks all the changed block since the last replay as readonly. If it's the oldest replay, it will have all blocks marked as readonly.

As long as you are still taking either scheduled replays, or manually creating a replay, then this should still be working. The State shows if it is the "Active" replay (where the writes get written to) or a "Frozen" replay were data is marked as readonly due to you taking a replay.

If you have only 1 "frozen" replay on a volume, it will not coalesce up until there is a more recent replay. The "Allow Replays to coalesce into active Replay" always a "Frozen" replay to coalesce up to the writeable replay. Affectively removing the replay if it is the only "Frozen" replay.

85 Posts

October 30th, 2015 09:00

Hi,

The volume has a frozen replay, there is no volume created from that replay and it is in the daily reply profile.

But Ijust see that frozen replay and I find that a bit odd?

28 Posts

October 30th, 2015 11:00

On a volume that does not have the "Allow Replays to coalesce into active Replay" option checked, and you have a single replay. That single replay will be marked as "Frozen" and persist, even if it has expired. This is by design. That expired replay will only expire if there is a newer replay that it will be able to coalesce into.

If for example you have 2 replays, they will both be marked as "Frozen". If the oldest replay expires, this replay will coalesce up into the newer "Frozen" replay, and you will be left with one "Frozen" replay.

There are a couple of reasons a replay does not disappear once it's expired. Here are a few of them.

1. It's the only replay and the "Allow Replays to coalesce into active Replay" option is not set on the volume.

2. You have a view volume created from that replay (the replay will disappear after the last view volume is deleted from that replay. Yes, you can create multiple view volumes from a single replay).

3. The replay is being synchronized due to an active replication (will disappear once the replication has completed.

I suggest you read the System Manager manual and go over the section on replays. You can download the manual from the Customer Portal (login required). If this does not help answer your question, you can also contact Co-Pilot via email or phone.

No Events found!