Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

1 Message

December 5th, 2018 11:00

SC8000 end of life and SC-series SAN roadmap

My team is currently doing some long-term planning re: Server and storage infrastructure, and I'm hoping to solicit some assistance from the community. 

It's my understanding that the SC8000 controllers are being end of lifed in Feb 2022 - Is the recommended path forward to replace with SC9000?

It's my understanding that the SC220 enclosures are being end of lifed in July 2023 - What is the replacement product and will it be comparable in terms of cost/performance/formfactor etc.  to the SC220s?

What does the future hold for the SC-series SAN family as a whole? Is further development / improvements expected in the long term (~2022 - 2030)?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

230 Posts

December 6th, 2018 07:00

The current recommended path would be to an SC9000 controller. That model has no announced End of Sales. The End of Sales is 5 years before the End of Support date. You are correct that the SC8000 is End of Support on March 31st, 2022.

In regards to Enclosures the difference between the SC200/SC220 and the new Enclosures are 6 Gb and 12 Gb connections. Here are the different models of new Enclosures: DELL EMC SC SERIES EXPANSION ENCLOSURES https://i.dell.com/sites/doccontent/shared-content/data-sheets/en/Documents/FY16Q3_387_Expansion_enclosure_Spec_Sheet.pdf

And of course you can mix a 12 Gb Enclosure in with 6 Gb Enclosure. Refer to the attached document Cabling Mixed-Speed Enclosure Chains.

1 Attachment

No Events found!