Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 31st, 2018 03:00

SCOS version 7.2.31 Upgrade Steps\ Procedure

Hello All,

I have SC4020 with SCOS 7.01.04 . Dell has recommended to update it to 7.2.31. But I came across a link which says 7.2.10 is supported only on SC9000, SC7020, and SC5020 series storage systems? I'm a bit confused now. Still i can go ahead with the upgrade? If so can anyone give me the steps to upgrade SCOS version 7.2.31 with best practices?

230 Posts

August 31st, 2018 10:00

The document you are looking at is out of date. Here is a link to the current recommendations:

SC Storage Customer Notification: Targeted Storage Center OS Version By System Type

Storage Center 7.2 Release Notes

Storage SC900 docs

The Upgrade process will be:
 1. Dell Support will run checks on your system to verify the system health before beginning the upgrade process
 *** (these need to be run within a 2 hour period of when the upgrade will be done)
 2. Dell Support will then create a software download for your system. The download will take between 20 and 30 minutes depending upon your bandwidth.
 3. When the upgrade process begins you will need to select a Non-service Affecting upgrade option.
   a. The software will be installed on the Lead Controller which will reboot to install
   b. The system will fail over all connections to the Peer controller which will become the Lead controller
   c. Once the software is installed on the first controller the process will start over again.
 4. The amount of time for the upgrade to complete will be dependent upon how many items need to be upgraded..
 5. Once the upgrade is done you will need to call us to run the post upgrade health checks.

1 Rookie

• 

9 Posts

September 2nd, 2018 23:00

DELL-Bob M,Thanks For your valuable information.

"Once the software is installed on the first controller the process will start over again."

you mean it will start the software upgrade on the second controller automatically here right ? 

1. Do we have any option to roll back to older version if we found any dispute during the upgrade?

2.So this approach wont required any downtime for the servers\hosts using the volumes of the compellent , since we have two controllers, this wont affect the servers\hosts using the volumes of compellent ? Can you confirm this.

This is the first time I'm doing the firmware upgraded on a Dell Compellent sorry for my silly questions. Please share any video links of the firmware upgrade if available.

Thanks in Advance. 

230 Posts

September 3rd, 2018 09:00

you mean it will start the software upgrade on the second controller automatically here right ?
That is correct. The upgrade will run automatically on both controllers.

1. Do we have any option to roll back to older version if we found any dispute during the upgrade?
In many years I have not found a reason to failback after an upgrade. It is possible with the assistance of our Engineering Team if necessary.

2.So this approach wont required any downtime for the servers\hosts using the volumes of the compellent , since we have two controllers, this wont affect the servers\hosts using the volumes of compellent ? Can you confirm this.

No, there will not be any downtime. During the controller reboots your Virtual Ports will move to the controller which is up and running to keep connections to your servers

I do not see any upgrade videos.

I would contact Dell International Support to open a case and speak to the on upgrading.

1 Rookie

• 

9 Posts

September 4th, 2018 02:00

Awesome ! Thanks a lot for your detailed explanations. Those information are very much useful for the upgrade. Once again, thank You !

No Events found!