Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

I

February 6th, 2018 06:00

SCv3020 New Install

Hi,

I'm going to install a new SCv3020 Iscsi with 30 Disks 1.2 SAS in a VMware 6.5 environment.

so i have a few questions:

1.In the deployment setting there is a section of "Storage Type of assigned" there is 3 options:

Standard, High performance and High Density. what is the preferred choice?

2. should i use data compression, it wont influence of the overall performance?

Thanks In Advance

• 

7.1K Posts

February 6th, 2018 13:00

Hello itzikd, That really depends on what type of data that you will be storing on your SCv3020. Most customer that I have worked with use the Standard or High Performance. When it comes to compression that again depends on the type of data. Most customer I have worked with use compression. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

7 Posts

February 6th, 2018 23:00

Hi Sam,

thanks for your quick replay.

As I described earlier my unit will include 30 disks of 1.2 GB SAS.
How can I already know what my total volume will be in these two configurations (Standart and High Prudence)
I have another SCv2020 unit where I have 24 disks of 900 GB and the system has been automatically programmed for 2 types of Raid (Raid 10 + Raid 5-9.)  The Total volume  is 17.3 TB ( 2 disks defined in Hot Spare ,Raid 10 = 5.08 TB Raid 5-9 = 12.12.4) .Can you please explain to me how the disks are being distributed?
As for compression, then you say that compression will not affect my performance? My servers are mostly file servers, Exchange and SQL. Would you recommend running compression for all servers or just on a particular type?
Can I run a tool on my servers to tell me what percentage of compression will be received?
Best regards,
Itzik D

• 

8.7K Posts

February 13th, 2018 07:00

Page 57 shows the difference between standard and high performance. http://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/storage-scv3000_deployment-guide_en-us.pdf It is differences in the datapage size, so it will depend on how much of each is used.

On your other unit. It sounds like 8 drives are in raid 10, 2 drives are hot spares and the remaining drives are in the other array. The effect compression will have is going to depend on how busy the servers are. You may not want to compress SQL or Exchange, but it is going to be specific for your environment.

No Events found!