Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 14th, 2021 09:00

Shoud i create volume from snapshot in case free space less than 1%

Hello everyone,

I have Dell CT-SC9000 with a daily schedule snapshot. Today I need to copy a VM (has problems) from a snapshot 3 days ago. But I see my free space as less than 1%, so in this case, can I create volume from snapshot and map to server for backup only?

May I expire some snapshots to reduce used space?

This is current volume information

11.PNG

This is snapshot point I need to copy VM 

12.PNG

• 

8.7K Posts

September 14th, 2021 14:00

Hi,

Yes, expiring snapshots is a great way to reduce to space usage. Let us know if you have any additional questions.

4 Operator

• 

1.9K Posts

September 15th, 2021 03:00

1. If this is a VMware Environment you should run a  scsi unmap from the ESXi shell to tell the Compellent about already deleted blocks.  The storage view show less space for the server than as on the compellent and this is an indicator
  2. You should provide screenshots about the storage types because there you can see if you have space left in the already allocated space
  3. Creating a volume from a snapshot(in the early days they named it "view") costs no extra space in the first place. If you mount this view as Datastore on ESXi and adding the VM to the inventory no additional blocks are allocated and the snapshot its based on still exist. This will change if you power on the VM because than changes will occure and new data will be written to the Compellent

NOTE: Are you aware that youre near 100% and whats happens when you reach the ermergency mode?

September 14th, 2021 17:00

Dear Josh Cr,

I need to create Volume from snapshot 9/12/2021 point time (size 499.99GB), I saw in the DSM guide and I'm not really sure about capacity free need to do this task, 499.99GB or 7.13TB free space requirement (current free space is 175.88GB)? 

"Create a recovery volume from a snapshot if you need to access data that is contained in the snapshot. A volume created from a snapshot accesses the same data as the original volume. The volume created from the snapshot does not consume more space than the original volume. It will consume more space when new data is written to the new volume."

Thank you

No Events found!