Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 25th, 2015 08:00

Single Tier and data progression

Hi I have a SC4020 system with only a single tier of storage. How does this affect data progression? Can I make data progress to different raid levels instead of different tiers?

115 Posts

October 26th, 2015 12:00

Yes, it will do RAID tiering but not Tier... tiering.  You don't need the data progression licensing for that to work, only if you want to tier between types/speeds of drives.

• 

7.1K Posts

October 26th, 2015 15:00

Hello haggisnneeps,

With only have a single tier of storage you can still use data progression.  What happens is that it take about 10-21 days for the SC to learn which blocks are being access the most often.  Once it has that figured out then if you were to have your SC setup will change the Raid levels of the blocks that are being accessed.  All tiers have 3 raid types R10: 50 % of space, R5-5: 20 % of space, R5-9: 12 % of space.  When data progression is used it will change the blocks that are access the least to raid 5-9 and the blocks that are access the most to R10.  

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

1 Rookie

• 

31 Posts

November 2nd, 2015 12:00

can I do on-demand data progression to make it happen faster than 21 days? I/O intensive Exchange, SQL and sharepoint will need RAID 10 -

can I create raid 5 volumes for use as another "tier" and data migration or should I not mess with the raid 5 that's already built in?

115 Posts

November 2nd, 2015 12:00

With a single tier, if you take a Replay/snapshot of the volume it will start to convert it to RAID5 when ODDP (on demand data progression) runs which is within hours not days to convert. You don't have to keep the snaps around very long either.

No Events found!