Unsolved

C

1 Rookie

• 

62 Posts

December 6th, 2021 00:00

Tiebreaker 3rd site

Hi

Is it possible to run the tiebreaker in 3rd site without all the other other Storage Manager and Data Collector features?

To "step-up" our currently manual LV Metro Cluster (no auto-failover), it would be nice if it was possible to have the primary Storage Manager/Data Collector on site A together with SC 1, the remote Storage Manager/Data Collector on Site B with SC 2 and "just" the tiebreaker service in site C - without having the "Management" and "Data Collection/Analysis" features of the basic Data Collector install in site C - due to security concerns... ...We do not have an internal 3rd site and would have to relay on a Cloud VM which is always a security risk.

Can this be done?

Or am I interpreting the docs right, and the primary Storage Manager/Data Collector will always be the tiebreaker?

4 Operator

• 

2.9K Posts

December 6th, 2021 07:00

You can set up an additional data collector to act as the tie-breaker (this is a remote data collector), but it does require normal installation and is more simplistic. You might contact support or configuration services for a more in-depth conversation in regard to setting it up, but I my understanding is that you can do this.

1 Rookie

• 

62 Posts

December 6th, 2021 08:00

Hi DylanJ

Thanks for your reply! Just to understand - before I call Dell - what you suggest would mean to install a "second" remote data collector in the 3rd site?

4 Operator

• 

2.9K Posts

December 6th, 2021 09:00

I believe you can only have 2. The primary data collector and a remote data collector. Just for clarity, would this be the only remote data collector, or is there another?

1 Rookie

• 

62 Posts

December 7th, 2021 00:00

Let me answer your question with a wish-blueprint

Preferably, I would only have administrative Storage Center Management functionality from within our datacenter for security reasons.

This is why I would like to have a Storage Manager installation in the Cloud or in a non-internal 3rd site which only has "automated" witness/tiebreaker interaction functionality with my Storage Center cluster; without any administrative Storage Center interaction possible.

If this means that I would have a primary Storage Manager / Data Collector with all the "bells and wistles" (Storage Management, Monitoring/Logging, etc.) installed in our datacenter and a remote Storage Manager / Data Collector installed in the Cloud or non-internal 3rd site that would be OK, as long as the remote Storage Manager / Data Collector would not provide the "usual" emergency Storage Center cluster management functionality that the remote Data Collector we have currently installed inside our datacenter offers...

It would worry me a lot to have the management station for my SAN hosted somewhere on a 3rd site, outside my security perimeter where I cannot control if/when a bad actor would/could take control or exfiltrate crucial infrastructure information, just because someone or something at that 3rd site happens to present a security issue...

No Events found!