Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

3 Posts

July 30th, 2018 10:00

sibling volume ?

Getting a strange message when I try to start data reduction on a particular volume in DSM : -

Enabling deduplication with Compression for this volume will enable deduplication with compression for all sibling volumes.

I have not encountered the term "sibling volume" before - what is this trying to tell me ? SCOS 7.2.11.4. 

• 

6.9K Posts

July 30th, 2018 12:00

Hello jkjk84m2,

A sibling volume is a volume is created from a snapshot. Your volume is the parent and the snapshot is the sibling. 

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

3 Posts

July 30th, 2018 16:00

Thanks

230 Posts

August 12th, 2018 17:00

Just to be clear the term sibling volume is not always used. In many instances it may be called a View Volume. Look at page 9 of the Dell Storage Center OS 7.0 Data Reduction with Deduplication and Compression
http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/extras/m/white_papers/20442456

Data reduction and view volumes
When data reduction is enabled on an SC Series volume, due to inheritance it is also enabled on the view volumes created from the volume snapshots. In other words, view volumes share data reduction settings from the parent (or source) volume. Likewise, when disabling data reduction on a parent volume, it is also disabled on any dependent view volumes.

No Events found!