Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 26th, 2018 07:00

undiscoverable new SCv3020 - help!

Hello,

I am struggling with the deployment of a brand new disc enclosure DELL EMC SCv3020

The unit cannot be discovered by the storage manager client, not by scanning and by manual MAC entry.

The unit and client are on a same subnet with no firewall and such interferring.

The front panel network status is off.

The deployment guide says either the controllers are running starting routines or a fault has been detected during startup.

Given that the unit has been powered on for many days, this suggest a fault.

The unit is covered by Dell ProSupport.

But alas Prosupport will not intervene stating it is an installation issue.

My remark that I'm unable to access the configuration because the controllers seem 'down', does not register

I can access it's iDrac web and SSH pages.

Despite numerous attempts from my part, Prosupport has not done anything with this stating the connection must be done via the serial number of the controllers and its (front?) ssh.
This is not possible as the controllers are down.
What is the use then of iDrac?

At the moment my vendor and Dell Prosupport are passing each other the hot potato, and thus denying me support I paid for.

Grasping at straws, I read somewhere , a manual installation of the OS is possible.
I asked ProSupport how to do this.
I did not get an answer other than the request to connect a serial cable to the controller for putty communication.
Small issue with that: the controller do not support serial connections.

Any help is most welcome.

best regards

7 Posts

July 30th, 2018 05:00

@Just dave
thank you for your reply.
I've got the serial communication working albeit only on the iDrac port.
I'm in contact by Dell support via the forum and direct.

When the issue is resolved, I'll post the findings here.

best regards
glenn

• 

6.9K Posts

July 26th, 2018 13:00

Hello glenndm,

If your system has been powered on for a few days and all front end & backend cables are connected, then in most cases there is something wrong as to why the controllers are not booting.  I am going to send you a private message and if I can get you to provide me with your service tag and your controller serial# so that I can look into this issue.  Also, you will need the serial cable that came with your SCv3020 so that we can connect to the controllers and see what they are displaying.  Without the serial cable to the controllers we would be guessing at why the controllers are not booting. 

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

7 Posts

July 27th, 2018 07:00

Hello, Thank you for your reaction. I have replied to your mail as requested Bundled with the unit came micro-usb cables for a corresponding service port on the controllers. No serial connection is present. best regards glenn

29 Posts

July 27th, 2018 09:00

Hi glenndm, 

The USB to Micro USB is the serial now, plug that into the top controller and the other end into your laptop, install the drivers mentioned below to use the serial cable.  Once drivers have been installed you will go to your device manager and you will see 4 COM ports, you will want to choose the lowest sequential number (i.e COM 4,5,6,7 shows up-you would choose COM4), then in Putty change the baud rate to 115200, and try to connect, if it puts you at a login screen the OS would be loaded properly, and you can use the manual setup method. If you do not got to a login prompt let support know what messages you see on the screen and they should address it.

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/CDM/CDM21228_Setup.zip 

Thanks, 

Dave

230 Posts

July 27th, 2018 10:00

Hello glenndm,

If there are no lights on the back of the controller then it is possible that the system is stuck and unable to load. As Just.Dave suggested please verify you have a good serial connection. You can then unseat both controllers, and leave the unseated for 3 minutes to allow all power to drain from the controllers and allow the BMC (Baseboard Management Card) to reset. After 3 minutes reseat both of them and verify if you see any lights, or hear fans starting. Upon reseating you should see output on your serial connection.

230 Posts

July 28th, 2018 11:00

Hello Hello glenndm,
My name is Bob and I will send you an email through your Service Request to assist you in getting your system up and configured.

16 Posts

July 29th, 2018 07:00

Hi,

I experienced some un-detectable SCv3020. Most of our cases, we get some output from console port as the controller could not complete its bootup. The solution is SCOS re-image (re-install SCOS) with the Dell Tech Support.

You can call Dell Tech Support too.

Rgds,

7 Posts

July 30th, 2018 05:00

@anhnh1977: thank you for your reply
I am in contact with dell support people here and direct.
When the issue is resolved I'll post the findings here.  

best regards
glenn

16 Posts

August 18th, 2018 22:00

Hi glenndm,

How about your SC deployment? It is done?

Rgds,

2 Posts

March 6th, 2019 07:00

i am having a similar problem...

230 Posts

March 6th, 2019 10:00

Hello Jupaco,

Have you contacted Dell Support for assistance in getting your system set up and configured? You can call in to Copilot Support at 800.945.3355 or email  dell_online_storage@dell.com 

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

July 25th, 2019 22:00

Same problem.... discovering doesnt working with the new SC3020. I find it funny that there i a method use MAC addresses.... but there are no stickers on the box.

Its SC #25 here... iam not sure if i like the "old" way more when we setup SC4020/8000 or the new way trough the broadcast method. When we have problems than its during setup or after.... but today it doesnt work in general.

Funny thing is the customer already have a SC2020 which i installed 3 years ago.

Regards,
Joerg

41 Posts

July 29th, 2019 06:00

Hi,

I had a similar problem deploying a SCv3020, the Storage Client did not recognize the storage, even via manual MAC address assignment.

What I did was connect directly to the IP address assigned to TOP controller over DHCP and start the deployment directly from the controller Web Interface instead of using Storage Client Manager discovery process.

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

August 12th, 2019 09:00

New SC5020.... same problem as usual... system not found during discovering. It gets a IP from the DHCP and i can reach the unisphere on both CMs. Iam unsure if its a supportet way to configure SCOS that way.

Funny thing even discovering via MAC is not working... but question is  XX:XX...., or XX-XX.... or just XXXX.... I tried all tree ways.

*yawnnn*

Joerg

1 Rookie

• 

16 Posts

November 11th, 2019 18:00

That's good information. We have a couple of semi-new SCv3020's with no warranty. I got the serial port and I got the webpage "Unisphere for SC Series" but I cannot find the default login/password anywhere in the documentation... If someone can provide the default login/password for either the serial connnection or the unisphere web login, it would be much appreciated!

No Events found!