Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 25th, 2008 00:00

How do I retrieve the serial number of MDS-9124 switch

When I run the "show ver" on 2 switches command I get information like:
Hardware
cisco MDS 9124 ("1/2/4 Gbps FC/Supervisor-2")
Motorola, ppc8541 (e500) with 515032 kB of memory.
Processor Board ID

But when I look at what's registered on that particular site id on Powerlink, I see other serials. Either the 2 switches are registered wrong and I need to get that changed or I'm simply looking at the wrong command.

Can someone tell me where to look to get the correct serial number ?

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

August 25th, 2008 04:00

Ahh ..found it.

show sprom backplane 1

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

August 25th, 2008 03:00

on my 9222i i had to look for the serial number that starts with FOX , that was the number that my CE used to register for the site/ESRS database.

2 Intern

• 

5.7K Posts

August 25th, 2008 03:00

Ok, but did you get this by using "sh ver" or another command ?

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

i think i used "show hardware". Sorry i can not get to the switch right now.

2 Intern

• 

5.7K Posts

Ok, I'll test this. It's only a small 9124.... I'll let you know.
I thought "sh ver" would be ok, but I doubt that very much now.

2 Intern

• 

5.7K Posts

August 25th, 2008 05:00

That's exactly what I'm affraid of. Our sales guy registered switches straight from the box the switch was in and my "show ver" command is showing something else.
The FOX number is 95xx specific, right ? (I remember this from a customer who had a few 9513's) My 9124's start with JAF...

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

August 25th, 2008 05:00

When we first opened the box ..there were stickers on the unit with serial number that started with JB ..so my CE used that number to register. Then we setup ESRS and tried to test email-home functionality, when none of our tests generated support tickets we knew we got something wrong. After the CE changed serial number from JB to FOX everything started working ok.

2 Intern

• 

5.7K Posts

August 25th, 2008 06:00

I asked one of my colleagues to do a "show sprom backplane 1" as well as a "show ver" on two MDS9124's and indeed: my switches also have FOX numbers !
So the FOX number is the one EMC needs ?

2 Intern

• 

5.7K Posts

August 25th, 2008 11:00

Thanks, I'll contact them tomorrow and ask them what they would like to have.

:)

August 25th, 2008 11:00

Hello,

The switch serial number questions is not a straight forward one. Cisco changed the serial numbers scheme and doing so created some issues. There are some times that you need to have the switch registered under the FOX serial number and there are also others that you will need to have the JA number used. There are also some switches like the 9120 and 9140 that no matter which serial number you use, the remote applications like Email Home will not work as the serial numbers that are in Cisco's databases won't match what comes back from the switch. (the issue is that the commands on the switch don't correctly return the switch serial number). EMC and Cisco are discussing ways to resolve all these issues.

For now, I would recommend that you work with your EMC Customer Engineer to address the serial number concerns. Our field has a matrix that EMC and Cisco created that cross references what serial number should be used for each model of switches.

Thank you.
No Events found!