Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 21st, 2006 08:00

OE Upgrade

I am upgrading the OE on an AX100. One of the preliminary steps is to upgrade the firmware on the Brocade 3250 FO switch. I am going from version 4.2 to version 5.1. I am told I must fist go to version 4.4 and then to 5.1. Has anyone had experience with this upgrade?

Thanks

128 Posts

December 14th, 2006 12:00

I believe Ed is getting off of the original question, which was about actual experience with this particular upgrade. My experience was that in my environment I didn't have any issues because of the date. It's always a good idea to do the appropriate preliminary research and take the typical precautionary measures when doing any firmware or san work.

(I do find it contradictory though, that Ed suggests doing these steps in this thread and then suggesting to having only EMC technicians do the update in another thread.)

2 Intern

• 

305 Posts

November 26th, 2006 22:00

I have moved this thread to the Brocade forum where it may get a reply.
Julie Gibson

13 Posts

November 27th, 2006 12:00

From the release notes for 5.1.1:

Brocade does not support upgrading from more than two previous releases, for example, upgrading from Fabric OS v4.4.0 to v5.1.x is supported but upgrading from Fabric OS v4.2.0 or a previous release directly to v5.1.x is not. In other words, to upgrade a switch from Fabric OS v4.2.0 or a previous release to v5.1.0 requires a two-step process: first upgrade to v4.4.0 or v5.0.1 and then upgrade to v5.1.0.

It's not that difficult, just takes longer

141 Posts

November 27th, 2006 13:00

Rimrock,

If you are currently on 4.2.0b, then to get to 5.1 you have to follow the following process:

1. Issue the date command to set the time. #date mmddhhmmyy
2. Upgrade the firmware to 4.2.2
3. Issue a cfgenable
4. Upgrade the firmware to 5.1.0d

The date command requirement is covered in article emc136853 - the firmware upgrade could be disruptive if you do not do this.

You only need to go from 4.2.2 to 4.4.0 on the 48000 - for your switch it's OK to go straight from 4.2.2 to 5.1.0.

Good Luck, Glen.

128 Posts

November 29th, 2006 08:00

Setting the date as GlenH suggests is only needed if you are running NTP to keep your switch clocks sync'd. Otherwise you don't really need to do this.
I did not do this when I went through this update, but I don't have NTP enabled on the switches. The switches did not reboot themselves.

141 Posts

November 29th, 2006 12:00

Hi sysmgr,

Resetting the time using the date command should always be done as a precautionary measure to synchronise the hardware and system clocks. If these clocks are too far apart, the switch will do a cold reset after the firmware is loaded and you will stop I/O on the switch. Most times you will get away with it, but its better to be safe than sorry.

I don't believe it makes any difference if you are using NTP or not except for the fact that if you are using NTP, you have to first disable NTP before you set the time as per the instructions in emc136853.

Glen.

128 Posts

November 30th, 2006 08:00

Based on experience, setting the date was not needed in my environment. However, since it's not very intrusive, it wouldn't be a bad thing to do.

148 Posts

December 12th, 2006 03:00

Hi sysmgr,

Then you are a lucky person. Because it is a brocade defect and as Glen pointed out, mentioned in the primus emc136853.
That is why it was taken up in our upgrade procedure and upgrade path, not have customer run into this defect.
cheers,

Ed

128 Posts

December 13th, 2006 07:00

Eddy,
So are you saying that EMC sells defective Brocade products?

148 Posts

December 14th, 2006 00:00

Hello sysmgr,

Sorry, not falling for the trap.

Please refer to the release notes, to view the defects with any firmware of any product. It doesn't matter which OEM product, software, hardware any of them.

cheers,

Ed
No Events found!