Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 20th, 2010 11:00

Removing old VSAN's from MDS

I am trying to clean up some of our switches and have run across a few with old VSAN's.  the VSAN's do not have any hosts or storage ports assigned to them.  They only have an entry on the ISL tab and have a active zoneset attached.  The hosts that used to be here were moved to another VSAN and are currently in production.   When i edit the local database for each VSAN, i can see that the entries in it have a status of "not in VSAN"

I am wondering if it is safe to delete these?   I would think that i need to deactivate the zoneset in them first and then delete the VSAN.    I just want to make sure that it doesnt effect the other VSAN that has the same hosts.

Switches are 9509's running 4.2(3a)

Thanks

August 22nd, 2010 01:00

Hello,

Before deleting a VSAN make sure you disable any IVR configurations that may be present and remove all members from the list, as upon deleteing a VSAN all of its attributes are removed from the running configuration. VSAN-related information is maintained by the system software as follows:

• VSAN attributes and port membership details are maintained by the VSAN manager. This feature is affected when you delete a VSAN from the configuration. When a VSAN is deleted, all the ports in that VSAN are made inactive and the ports are moved to the isolated VSAN. If the same VSAN is recreated, the ports do not automatically get assigned to that VSAN. You must explicitly reconfigure the port VSAN membership.

• VSAN-based runtime (name server), zoning, and configuration (static routes) information is removed when the VSAN is deleted.

• Configured VSAN interface information is removed when the VSAN is deleted.

• Note: The allowed VSAN list is not affected when a VSAN is deleted

• Any commands for a nonconfigured VSAN are rejected. For example, if VSAN 10 is not configured in the system, then a command request to move a port to VSAN 10 is rejected.

I hope this answers your question.

Regards,

Ayman

542 Posts

August 26th, 2010 12:00

Ayman,  thatnks for the reply.   Sorry i didnt respond back quick.  got busy and sort of forgot i had posted this:)

We dont use IVR so thats good.   I will try to remove those old VSAN's in the next few days.

Thanks

August 29th, 2010 00:00

Hello Kenn,

I'm glad I was able to help.

If you have any other questions/problems please let me know.

If not, then if possible please mark this question as answered (correct/helpful), this show your appreciation for the support on EMC support forums.

Have a great day.

Regards,

Ayman

542 Posts

August 30th, 2010 13:00

I havent  tried to delete them yet but will mark this question as answered.  I am sure your explanation is correct but we have a very complicated environment and i haven't pulled the trigger yet.  I haven't had to do this before so i am a little hesitant

Thanks

August 31st, 2010 00:00

Not a problem, I wish you luck and hope everything goes smoothly.

Please let me know how it goes and if there's anything I could do to help.

Regards,

Ayman

No Events found!