Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 22nd, 2010 09:00

Rolling Cisco Switch Upgrade

I have 2 -  MDS 9513's each in it's own fabric and  2 - MDS 9509 each in it's own fabric.  All switches running 4.1.(3a)

I have hosts connected to each of the 9513 fabrics and the same for the 9509 fabrics.

The hosts are mostly Windows servers 2003 and 2008 with some ESX 3.5 servers.  All systems are running some version of Multipathing and Navisphere Agents.

The Clariion arrays are CX4-960's (one of which hosts NAS disks), CX3-40f (NS40) and CX3-80 which is an integrated NSG80

The question is can I upgrade 1 of the 9513's & 1 of the 9509's  to 5.01 without having issues on the hosts or with the Clariion arrays.

Thanks,

Bing

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 22nd, 2010 10:00

Bing:

How long until you plan to upgrade the remaining switches? A week or so?

In general I would approve of this unless you plan to immediately begin using a "new feature" specific to 5.0.1.

Looking through the release notes, I don't think that's a concern here.

I've attached the release notes so you can check to see if anything pertains to your specific configuration.

I don't think there will be a problem specific to the servers or arrays though.

Thanks,

Jim

1 Attachment

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

I currently have a couple of hosts that are connected to one fabric running 4.2.1 and another 4.1.1b …no problems. Now EMC would probably tell me to get my fabrics on the same code if I have any issues ..but I’ve been running this for a year now (waiting on maintenance windows) ..no issues.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Providing the multi-pathing on all your hosts is intact you can nondisruptively upgrade directly to NX-OS Release 5.0(1a)

96 Posts

So I can upgrade just one the one switch fabric and leave the other fabric at 4.13a and not have an issue with connectivity at either the host or array.  My main concern is having two fabrics with hosts having connections to each and the switches are not at the same software/firmware revision.

Bing

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

i don't see why not, if multipathing software is licensed and properly configured, hosts are dual attached ..should be no issues. When you you upgrade MDS you never lose fiber connectivity but having  working multipathing never hurts. Just run the proposed config through E-Lab to make sure PowerPath, navi agent, Flare code on Clariion are all happy with 5.01 on MDSs.

August 9th, 2010 01:00

Hello Bing,

I see you posted a question regarding Cisco switches upgrade and that your question in this post appears to have been answered. Was this a correct or helpful answer? If so could you please mark the question as Answered (helpful or correct)? This shows your appreciation for the help you provide to other community members.

Thanks for your assistance and participation in the Support Forums.

Regards,

Ayman

No Events found!