Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 21st, 2013 09:00

What reasons could make the HCL process fail during an upgrade?

Hi,

Recently, I upgraded FOS from v6.4.1a to v6.4.2a in a 3-switch fabric (all of them Silkworm 5300) and the ugprade itself failed with the following message:

2013/03/11-17:20:47, [SULB-1037], 2559, CHASSIS, ERROR, DS_5300B, HCL failed. Reboot the switch manually using the reboot command. However, it will disrupt the FC traffic.

I had to manually reboot the 3 switchs in order to finish the upgrade. Previously I upgraded the other fabric (also with 3 Silkworm 5300) and it finished without issues.

Does anyone know, which reason could lead to a HCL failure during the upgrade? I think that there must be something fabric-wide preventing HCL from working.

I checked the FOS Message Reference guide and for this particular message, the tech writer did not racked his brain to define the cause...

SULB-1037

Message , [SULB-1037], , INFO, , HCL failed. Reboot the switch manually using the reboot command. However, it will disrupt the FC traffic.

Probable Cause: Indicates HCL has failed. Many reasons, such as domain not confirmed, can cause this failure.

Recommended Action: Run the reboot command to reboot the switch manually.

Severity INFO

Any advise is appreciated.

Kind regards,

Felipon

96 Posts

April 1st, 2013 00:00

somebody?

2.1K Posts

April 3rd, 2013 07:00

I wonder if it might have been something specific to 6.4.1a... We have lots of 5300s and several of them are running 6.4.2a, but we never used 6.4.1a so I was never in that exact upgrade situation. I do know that I've never seen an HCL failure on any of my Brocade hardware (5300s or anything else).

96 Posts

April 4th, 2013 00:00

Hi Allen,

Thanks for your reply, I really appreciate it. I have never seen this behavior either, until now.

But what I am looking for are the possible reasons of a HCL failure (since I haven't found them anywhere),to see if any of them could match with the situation of my environment. I have reviewed the Release Notes and nothing about HCL...

Kind regards

No Events found!